[NatureNS] Yesterday at Seffernsville, Doctor's Cove Road

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 02:42:08 +0000

--_2d2db0d6-7437-4ffe-87ca-12b7b0709f1e_

I had a report of an interesting bird at Doctor's Cove Road.  The reportee =
thinks that it might have come here by boat and that it is not a bird usual=
ly found around here.  The reportee is well versed in birds and knows all o=
f the local species and is proficient with nature and the outdoors.  He obs=
erves most of what takes place around him.  The bird he has never seen befo=
re.  It was at some moss and was seen to capture a moth and leave with it. =
 The bird itself was larger than a flicker.  It had a white head and mostly=
 white on the back.  There were white feathers which had a pattern vertical=
 on the back or a white pattern which went from top to bottom.  When the bi=
rd flew the wings were broad and mostly white.  The breast was rusty or red=
dish and the bill was like that of a robin.  Of course the other possibilit=
y that I'm thinking of is that it might have been some normal species witho=
ut proper pigmentation of color.  None of my suggestions fit though and he =
knows all of the normal local species of birds.  The bird has not returned.=
  The man went for his camera for a photo=2C but was not able to get a snap=
shot.  If it returns he will attempt such and let me know. =20
=20
A real thrill while there was the numbers of hummingbirds.  I've never seen=
 so many at a feeder at one time.  I counted 14 all at one feeder with all =
four holes occupied.  Very little squabbling took place or far less than I =
would have expected.  I have no idea how many ruby-throated hummingbirds we=
re present as there was a steady movement of birds in and out of the area d=
uring the hour that I was outside talking to the gentleman before we went i=
nside.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave

--_2d2db0d6-7437-4ffe-87ca-12b7b0709f1e_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I had a report of an interesting bird at Doctor's Cove Road.&nbsp=3B The re=
portee thinks that it might have come here by boat and that it is not a bir=
d usually found around here.&nbsp=3B The reportee is well versed in birds a=
nd knows all of the local species and is proficient with nature and the out=
doors.&nbsp=3B He observes most of what takes place around him.&nbsp=3B The=
 bird he has never seen before.&nbsp=3B It was at some moss and was seen to=
 capture a moth and leave with it.&nbsp=3B The bird itself was larger than =
a flicker.&nbsp=3B It had a white head and mostly white on the back.&nbsp=
=3B There were white feathers which had a pattern vertical on the back or a=
 white pattern which went from top to bottom.&nbsp=3B When the bird flew th=
e wings were broad and mostly white.&nbsp=3B The breast was rusty or reddis=
h and the bill was like that of a robin.&nbsp=3B Of course the other possib=
ility that I'm thinking of is that it might have been some normal species w=
ithout proper pigmentation of color.&nbsp=3B None of my suggestions fit tho=
ugh and he knows all of the normal local species of birds.&nbsp=3B The bird=
 has not returned.&nbsp=3B The man went for his camera for a photo=2C but w=
as not able to get a snapshot.&nbsp=3B If it returns he will attempt such a=
nd let me know.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A real thrill while there was the numbers of hummingbirds.&nbsp=3B I've nev=
er seen so many at a feeder at one time.&nbsp=3B I counted 14 all at one fe=
eder with all four holes occupied.&nbsp=3B Very little squabbling took plac=
e or far less than I would have expected.&nbsp=3B I have no idea how many r=
uby-throated hummingbirds were present as there was a steady movement of bi=
rds in and out of the area during the hour that I was outside talking to th=
e gentleman before we went inside.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_2d2db0d6-7437-4ffe-87ca-12b7b0709f1e_--