[NatureNS] Fireflies

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:08:05 -0300
From: "Margaret E.Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Oh fireflies bring back so many memories.
Last year as well as a couple years previously, about this time of the
summer,  I was watching to see what birds were muttering in the apple trees
behind the house here in White Point, Queens. The evenings were humid
without a doubt, probably wispy fog,  and our lights were out and time wise,
probably about 9 pm.. I was very pleased to see 'lightening bugs' flitting
about. At first I thought I was seeing things but stayed quiet and
eventually saw there were several maybe as many as 6. Are birds harvesting
them?
I am thinking that now we have that awful bright yard light next door
lighting up our property, I suppose we won't be seeing any again, but I will
keep checking. There are usually some up along the brooks that run under the
rail bed out behind Port Mouton. They are on our search list for different
seasons.
Marg Millard,
White Point,
Queens