[NatureNS] Seeking ID / Info on Huge Slug

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 19:02:16 -0300
From: "Ronald Arsenault" <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Slug&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p
------=_Part_30771_12929600.1215900136837

Hello,

During our annual pilgrimage to Brier Island in 2006, Virginia Tudor and he=
staff at Brier Island Lodge told us about "huge slugs" they had been seeing
around the Lodge.  These turned out to be "Limax maximus" , the Great
Gray Slug or Leopard Slug. We collected specimens which were given to the
Nova Scotia Museum (Andrew Hebda).

D. S. Davis (1992: Terrestrial Mollusca of Nova Scotia, Proc. Ninth Int.
Malac Congress: 125-133) lists 62 species reported from Nova Scotia:  37
Nearctic, 10 Holarctic and 15 introduced Palaearctic.  This
total includes three Nearctic species that have not been confirmed by recen=
investigations and three introduced species which did not become
established.  I have no idea of any changes to the list since the
publication of the paper.

There is no Ariolimax sp (Banana Slug) on the list.

Ron Arsenault
Memramcook, N.B.

2008/7/12 Wild Flora <herself@wildflora.com>:

>  This certainly sounds like (another) description of a banana slug.
> Possibly they are being transported in mulch from the Pacific Northwest? =
If
> Laura would care to send me the picture of the slug she found in her gard=
en,
> I probably will be able to tell whether it's a banana slug. The markings =
are
> quite different from those of the leopard slug.
>

> Wild Flora

--=20
Ronald G. Arsenault
Memramcook, N.B.

------=_Part_30771_12929600.1215900136837

nd her staff at Brier Island Lodge told us about &quot;huge slugs&quot; the=
y had been seeing around the Lodge.&nbsp; These turned out to be &quot;Lima=
x maximus&quot; ,&nbsp;the Great Gray&nbsp;Slug or Leopard Slug. We collect=
ed&nbsp;specimens which were given to the Nova Scotia Museum (Andrew Hebda)=
.</div>

t. Malac Congress: 125-133) lists 62 species reported from Nova Scotia:&nbs=
p;&nbsp;37 Nearctic, 10 Holarctic and 15 introduced Palaearctic.&nbsp; This=
 total&nbsp;includes&nbsp;three Nearctic species that have not been confirm=
ed by recent investigations and three introduced species which did not beco=
me established.&nbsp; I have no idea of any changes to the list since the p=
ublication of the paper.</div>

lf@wildflora.com">herself@wildflora.com</a>&gt;:<br>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">
ke (another) description of a banana slug. Possibly they are being transpor=
ted in mulch from the Pacific Northwest? If Laura would care to send me the=
 picture of the slug she found in her garden, I probably will be able to te=
ll whether it's a banana slug. The markings are quite different from those =
of the leopard slug.</span></p>