[NatureNS] Seeking ID / Info on Huge Slug

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 11:59:28 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_3276859==.ALT

Hi Laura,

         I'm surprised to hear these giant slugs are on Brier
Island.  As Wild Flora says, these are probably "Limax Maximus" ,
sometimes called the the Great Gray Garden Slug or Leopard Slug or Cigar Slug.

         These are common in certain areas of peninsular Halifax, and
were I think first reported in the North End.  I started finding them
in my central Halifax garden a few years ago.  I didn't think they
had spread much from here.  Of course such things get spread around
by sales or gifts of garden plants.

         I have read that there are nine species of slugs in Nova
Scotia,  and that six of those are alien "imports".

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 01:49 PM 11/07/2008, Laura Tituswrote:

>Last evening I came upon what I first thought was a small snake but
>upon nearing it I realized it was a slug. The lengthy creature was
>slowly moving towards some grass at the edge of the pavement on
>Second Street on Brier Island. It was 8 or 9 inches long and full of
>brownish coloured spots / pattern similar to marks one may associate
>with a snake. It's antennae were out. I'd never seen such a slug
>before, nor had the people with me. I did take a picture, which I
>can provide if requested.
>

>Laura Titus
>
>Westport, Brier Island

--=====================_3276859==.ALT

Hi Laura,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I'm
surprised to hear these giant slugs are on Brier Island.&nbsp; As Wild
Flora says, these are probably &quot;<b>Limax Maximus&quot;</b> ,
sometimes called the the Great Gray Garden Slug or Leopard Slug or Cigar
Slug. <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>These are
common in certain areas of peninsular Halifax, and were I think first
reported in the North End.&nbsp; I started finding them in my central
Halifax garden a few years ago.&nbsp; I didn't think they had spread much
from here.&nbsp; Of course such things get spread around by sales or
gifts of garden plants.&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I have
read that there are nine species of slugs in Nova <b>Scotia, </b> and
that six of those are alien &quot;imports&quot;.&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 01:49 PM 11/07/2008, Laura Tituswrote:<br><br>
first thought was a small snake but upon nearing it I realized it was a
slug. The lengthy creature was slowly moving towards some grass at the
edge of the pavement on Second Street on Brier Island. It was 8 or 9
inches long and full of brownish coloured spots / pattern similar to
marks one may associate with a snake. It's antennae were out. I'd never
seen such a slug before, nor had the people with me. I did take a
picture, which I can provide if requested. <br><br>
&nbsp;<br><br>
Laura Titus<br><br>
Westport, Brier Island<br>