[NatureNS] Tiny Butterfly

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:12:52 -0300
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

At 08:58 AM 7/10/2008, you wrote:
>Are you sure it is a Eight-spotted Forrester??  You will notice its
>body being thinly stripped and its orange "hair" on its back.  It
>helps if you enlarge Melvina's photo to see details.  Thanks.

Pardon me for stepping in here (apologies, Chris) but you're right
Liz...Melvina's moth is NOT an 8-spotted forester because of the
marks you mention PLUS the forewing spots are not yellow but white.
Your ID from BugGuide.net looks good to me...

Phil

--

Dr. Phil Schappert

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS Canada, B3P 1J3
Home: 902-404-5679
Cell: 902-460-8343

www.philschappert.com
www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                             Michael Hedges