[NatureNS] Flycatchers

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:06:07 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_25578_23391323.1213146367550

Hi,

Eye rings, like many other plumage features on Empid. flycatchers, come and
go depending on the angle and the light. Single photos are notoriously
difficult for ID-ing this group. I once showed 2 pictures of empids to some
of the best field experts, and got all kinds of interesting analyses - they
were actually a single Alder Flycatcher taken a few seconds apart, before
and after it jumped from a well-lit tree to a poorly lit one. The 2 pictures
looked like 2 different species. Having said that, apparently Willow
Flycatchers do indeed have the least apparent eye rings of the empids that
occur in NS, but Alders can too.

For a very thorough analysis of what to look for and what not to look for in
empids, there is a good chapter in the Field Guide to Advanced Birding by
Kenn Kaufman - paperback, one of the Peterson Field Guide series. BTW that's
an excellent book for thorough ID discussions of all sorts of other
difficult species too.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

------=_Part_25578_23391323.1213146367550

Hi,<br><br>Eye rings, like many other plumage features on Empid. flycatchers, come and go depending on the angle and the light. Single photos are notoriously difficult for ID-ing this group. I once showed 2 pictures of empids to some of the best field experts, and got all kinds of interesting analyses - they were actually a single Alder Flycatcher taken a few seconds apart, before and after it jumped from a well-lit tree to a poorly lit one. The 2 pictures looked like 2 different species. Having said that, apparently Willow Flycatchers do indeed have the least apparent eye rings of the empids that occur in NS, but Alders can too.<br>

a reference picture of and Alder Flycatcher without an eyering!&nbsp;&nbsp; I
also noted a large variety of plumage shades and colours in the references that
I checked so I was somewhat confused by it all.&nbsp; My only wish is that I
could have heard the song but unfortunately my hearing is shot and I could
not.</font></div>
<b>From:</b>
  <a title="angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca" href="mailto:angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca" target="_blank">Angus
  MacLean</a> </div>