[NatureNS] West Ironbound and see below for square bash.

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 04:07:03 +0000

--_64d4a3cf-76d4-411d-a066-9ff5401b91dd_

A great trip today out to West Ironbound today with the South Shore Natural=
ists Club.  We were able to see many herring gulls in all stages of nesting=
 from eggs to a chick just hatching out to a few day old chicks to those of=
 a week old.  There are far more gulls there than last year.  The numbers h=
ave tripled.  We could not walk through one area due to the density of nest=
s and young.  For those who are biting their teeth, we moved through areas =
quickly and did not hang for any length of time to unduly disturb any nesti=
ng species.  Greater black-backed gulls also tripled with about thirty nest=
s.  Their young were far advanced, with skirmishes of defense for the chick=
s from other Greater Black-backed gulls.  The cormorant colony also increas=
ed with about 120 nests.  They are late this year and many are still carryi=
ng nesting materials.  Last year I suspected nesting of great blue heron on=
 the island.  This year I was able to confirm it with about five nests.  Th=
ere might be more, but I did not spend a lot of time there.  Once I had con=
firmation that the birds were actually on nests and that nests had been bui=
lt I boogied out of the area very quickly.  The rest of the group did not s=
ee these nests as I did not allow them to accompany me for the check.
=20
Of note, blackpoll warblers are not common in this area in regards to nesti=
ng.  Last year there was one on the island vocalizing and this year there w=
ere at least three males.  One was very co-operative allowing the entire gr=
oup great viewing and Dorothy snapped an awesome photo.
=20
For atlassers, I'm organizing a square bash in which birders will be droppe=
d on Mosher's Island and on Cape LaHave Island.  This will be on June 21 wi=
th a rain date of June 22.  If interested please contact me and specify, wh=
ich island you would like to be dropped on.  More details to follow when I =
get chance.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave
=20
=20
=20

--_64d4a3cf-76d4-411d-a066-9ff5401b91dd_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
A great trip today out to West Ironbound today with the South Shore Natural=
ists Club.&nbsp; We were able to see many herring gulls in all stages of ne=
sting from eggs to a chick just hatching out to a few day old chicks to tho=
se of a week old.&nbsp; There are far more gulls there than last year.&nbsp=
; The numbers have tripled.&nbsp;&nbsp;We could not walk through one area d=
ue to the density of nests and young.&nbsp; For those who are biting their =
teeth, we moved through areas quickly and did not hang for any length of ti=
me to unduly disturb any nesting species.&nbsp; Greater black-backed gulls =
also tripled with about thirty nests.&nbsp; Their young were far advanced, =
with skirmishes of defense for the chicks from other Greater Black-backed g=
ulls.&nbsp; The cormorant colony also increased with about 120 nests.&nbsp;=
 They are late this year and many are still carrying nesting materials.&nbs=
p; Last year I suspected nesting of great blue heron on the island.&nbsp; T=
his year I was able to confirm it with about five nests.&nbsp; There might =
be more, but I did not spend a lot of time there.&nbsp; Once I had confirma=
tion that the birds were actually on nests and that nests had been built I =
boogied out of the area very quickly.&nbsp; The rest of the group did not s=
ee these nests as I did not allow them to accompany me for the check.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Of note, blackpoll warblers are not common in this area in regards to nesti=
ng.&nbsp; Last year there was one on the island vocalizing and this year th=
ere were at least three males.&nbsp; One was very co-operative allowing the=
 entire group great viewing and Dorothy snapped an awesome photo.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
For atlassers, I'm organizing a square bash in which birders will be droppe=
d on Mosher's Island and on Cape LaHave Island.&nbsp; This will be on June =
21 with a rain date of June 22.&nbsp; If interested please contact me and s=
pecify, which island you would like to be dropped on.&nbsp; More details to=
 follow when I get chance.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>

--_64d4a3cf-76d4-411d-a066-9ff5401b91dd_--