[NatureNS] when to plant

Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 12:15:05 -0300
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

My grandparents  ( both the maternal- Puritan ones and the paternal
Irish ones and Lunenburg German ones) planted by the moon. The plants
growing up above the ground were best planted as the moon waxed in late
May/early June, and the ones growing below the ground were best planted
as the moon waned.
Bartenders, schoolteachers, emergency room workers and the police know
that the moon influences a lot of things, including human behavior.
National Geographic News had an article on moon gardening July10th,
2003. This quote may be helpful:

> Harris gives the example that the best time to turn over a garden is
> during the last quarter of the moon because that is when the water
> table has dropped to its lowest point. "It means less moisture is
> within the soil. It is far easier to turn soil over when there is less
> moisture in it," he said.
>
> *Moon Boom*
>
> Seeking to preserve knowledge about moon-gardening techniques before
> they were eclipsed entirely by modern gardening practices, Harris
> wrote /RJ Harris' Moon Gardening/ with the help of journalist Will
> Summers.
>
> But since the book's September 2002 publication, Harris said he
> learned he need not have worried.
>
> Harris says he has heard from people in New Zealand, Austria, Germany,
> and the United States who use the lunar cycle as a guide for their
> gardening chores. And the Internet is sprouting with Web sites
> dedicated to the practice.
>
> On her Web site Gardening by the Moon.com
> (www.gardeningbythemoon.com), Caren Catterall writes, "Plants respond
> to the same gravitational pull of tides that affect the oceans, which
> alternately stimulates root and leaf growth. Seeds sprout more
> quickly, plants grow vigorously and at an optimum rate, harvests are
> larger and they don't go to seed as fast."

PS: Many questions asked on naturens can be answered by using great
search engines like Google and YouTube. However, it is fun to share
personal observations and experiences. Cheers, Joan