Picture > 1000 words: was Re: [NatureNS] barrens

Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:15:43 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi All,            June 5, 2008
    True enough there are Pine Barrens, Oak Barrens and perhaps other
types. The various fire barrens around the province and the Cape Breton
Highlands barrens are, on the other hand, so called due the almost
complete absence of trees, as Brian has noted in general.

    Andrew kindly sent me three images of the barrens in question and
why anyone decided to call them barrens beats me because they appear to
be a relatively species rich and vigorous open woodland. As a wild
guess, perhaps classed as barren by lumbering interests because of rough
rocky terrain that would increase the cost of timber extraction. But it
would be interesting to know how in fact these 'barrens' did get this
designation.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville