[NatureNS] Tent Dwelling

Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:06:28 -0300
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

David, Thanks for pointing out the difference between "pretty dead and
pretty useless" and "utterly dead and useless''--the blurring of your view
and the careless wording was my mis-step. For a long while now I've enjoyed
your contributions to the listserv, and there was no intention to suggest
you yourself undervalue metaphor  (the point was a general one) or were
"adversarial." The listserv has gained a lot from your decades of
experience, depth of knowledge, and healthy promotion of dialogue.
    I just checked The Canadian Oxford to see what it gives on "barren" as a
noun:
    "1. (eastern N America) a track of elevated flat land that supports
shrubs and bushes but no trees; 2) Cdn (NB & NS) an expanse of marsh or
muskeg."
    Interesting to learn that the term isn't a Western one, and that the
second C.O.D. definition specifies N.B. and N.S. Can't say I'm familiar with
the term "barren" being used to mean "an expanse of marsh..."
    One of the finest poems by Maritimer Alden Nowlan is simply called "The
Barrens."
    all the best, Brian