[NatureNS] Re: NatureNS] Re: Tent Dwelling

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 18:26:22 -0300
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_47SZ+mnE77KmLHfKbTP5aw)

Thanks, Andrew, both for your original vivid report and for your reply to David, including the comments on the dangers of declaring a landscape utterly "useless" and "dead," and of ignoring the values of metaphor and even lyricism in writing about experiences within the so-called natural world(s). As for "dancing with beavers," I thought that a funny allusion (whether intended or not) to the film Dances with Wolves, but it also has its much earlier precedents, such in the unforgettable passage in the "Sounds" chapter of Walden, when Thoreau describes a sort of "checkers" game with a loon on a lake, an imagined sense of play that nonetheless ends with a recognition of the loon's final elusiveness, as mist surrounds and hides the bird and it slips away from the canoeist.
    As it so happens, this afternoon just an hour ago I was watching a very brief Utube commentary by English poet Lavinia Greenlaw--who has extensively working in the borderlands between science and poetry--on the role of metaphor in science. Here's the link to it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZM9Dr0zxK0
    Did you know that a Calgary poet, Diane Guichon, recently published a whole collection of "canoeing" poems? (She's been working on an anthology of them by other people too.)
cheers, Brian