[NatureNS] Asexual reproduction article

Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 16:26:36 -0300
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Joan,
Like a few of us out here I have an interest in flies (so-called true flies,
Diptera), so I noticed your "dancing fly (long-tailed fly)" comment. I checked
out the Olivia Judson link given, briefly, but didn't see this
mentioned there,
or did I just overlook it?

Dance fly is the occasional common name used for members for the
dipteran family
Empididae, on account of the interesting male flight-swarm behaviour in some
species, while long-legged fly is the eponymous name for the family next door
to the empidids, Dolichopodidae, some of which have elaborate courtship
behaviours.  But what's a long-tailed fly, or does the name refer to the
different, much older insect group, perhaps the mayflies (Ephemeroptera, not
Diptera)?

Also, what's the asexual reproduction connection, which isn't what either
dolichos or empidids usually do?  In fact the best known story about empidids
(the balloon fly variety) could be said to be about obtaining real sex
based on
empty promises made by a male, a situation also known in other groups
closer to
home, of course.
Cheers,
Steve