[NatureNS] Tent Dwelling

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 09:22:37 -0300
From: Joan Czapalay <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Thank you for sharing your trip, Andrew. It was a delight to read.
It has been quite a few years since I and my family regularly took long
May weekend trips into the Tobeatic. (We had to trade our
before-children wood and canvas Chesnut for 2 fibreglass canoes and
carry  patch kits for those rocky rivers in Shelburne and Queens
counties.) Your note  brings back great memories.
I went back the Indian Fields road on Monday, 2nd June, from the
"airport" and wish the protected area could be extended. The "cottage
country" from Shelburne and Welshtown is growing rapidly in that
direction. Lake Deception now has a cottage settlement road more than
half way around the lake. Access to the shores of Horseshoe Lake and
Clamshell Lake by vehicle is blocked off with boulders, and the lane in
is barely passable. A great trip is to put in at Clamshell and go
through the chain of lakes (Clamshell, Horseshoe, Black, Russia, Auger,
Long and Barclay to the Clyde River ( taking out at Cobscootch Falls).
Because it was not the week end, I saw no other vehicle or person all
day, but many, many birds and plants. Lots of bear scat, but no encounter.
I have just bought the 100th anniversary edition of Albert Bigelow
Paine's The Tent Dwellers ( Nimbus) and look forward to a re-read.
Cheers, Joan