[NatureNS] re TVultures on Brier Is., and cardinals in Yarmouth

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 08:38:18 -0300
From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

face="Courier New" size=2&gt;Lance Laviolette&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/SPAN&gt;
I have records of Turkey Vultures on Brier Island going back nearly 40 years.

There are very few summer (June through mid-August) records from the islands or Digby
Neck. In general, there is a pretty good movement in May, few to none in mid-summer, then
increasing numbers from late August onward. In the late '80s Turkey Vultures began to winter
on Brier, and they do so to the present.

Among the returning birds in August and later I have seen dark-headed immatures that
appear to be birds of the year. But so far there is no evidence of breeding anywhere in the
Digby Neck or islands area. Personally, I think that the late August birds are arriving from
Maine or New Brunswick, although I would like to be proved wrong. Where the spring birds
are coming from is a puzzle, although they seem to arrive from the NE.

Eric