[NatureNS] UK

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 06:22:18 EDT
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca

-------------------------------1211970138

Just returned from three weeks, mostly touring rural England. It was
gratifying to see that wildlife for the most part seem to be doing well. An  average
of 20 bird species daily in my sisters backyard in Kent.
Rabbits and pheasant are everywhere and baby rabbits were feeding on almost
every verge. Badgers seem to be doing very well judging by the number of  road
kills. The Brits have an issue with Bovine TB and there has been talk of a
cull because it occurs in badgers.  Some other highlights:
Red Kites are now very common in parts of England after being almost  extinct
when I was a boy. Many people feed them with raw chicken parts.
A red fox in the back yard of a relative in a heavily built up area of
London.
Chinese Muntjac deer now commonly seen in England after escaping from parks
and breeding well.
Visiting my Lincolnshire birthplace I was astonished to see an enormous  wind
farm stretching out into the very shallow area of the North Sea. The 50
turbines will apparently serve much of the county when completed. Another Thames
estuary farm will have hundreds of turbines that will serve much or Kent.
I was impressed overall with the general awareness of Green issues. Hardly  a
day passed without some initiative to reduce carbon footprints both by
corporations and individuals. It was also interesting to see the huge numbers of
small diesel cars, almost none of which are available here. Important with gas
at double Canadian prices.
A great visit but nice to be home to get the garden planted.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

-------------------------------1211970138

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16643" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY:=20=
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D3>
<DIV>Just returned from three weeks, mostly touring rural England. It was=20
gratifying to see that wildlife for the most part seem to be doing well. An=20
average of 20 bird species daily in my sisters backyard in Kent. </DIV>
<DIV>Rabbits and pheasant are everywhere and baby rabbits were feeding on al=
most=20
every verge. Badgers&nbsp;seem to be doing very well judging by the number o=
f=20
road kills. The Brits have an issue with Bovine TB and there has been talk o=
f a=20
cull&nbsp;because it occurs in badgers.&nbsp; Some other highlights:</DIV>
<DIV>Red Kites are now very common in parts of England after being almost=20
extinct when I was a boy. Many people feed them with raw chicken parts.</DIV=

<DIV>A red fox in the back yard of a relative in a heavily built up area of=20
London.</DIV>
<DIV>Chinese Muntjac deer now commonly seen in England after escaping from p=
arks=20
and breeding well.</DIV>
<DIV>Visiting my Lincolnshire birthplace I was astonished to see an enormous=
=20
wind farm stretching out into the very shallow area of the North Sea. The 50=
=20
turbines will apparently serve much of the county when completed. Another Th=
ames=20
estuary farm will have hundreds of turbines that will serve much or Kent.</D=

<DIV>I was impressed overall with the general awareness of Green issues. Har=
dly=20
a day passed without some initiative to reduce carbon footprints both by=20
corporations and individuals. It was also interesting to see the huge number=
s of=20
small diesel cars, almost none of which are available here. Important with g=
as=20
at double Canadian prices.</DIV>
<DIV>A great visit but nice to be home to get the garden planted.</DIV>
<DIV>Peter Stow</DIV>
<DIV>Hubbards</DIV></FONT>   </BODY></HTML>