[NatureNS] Field Trip for Conquerall Bank for NSBS

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 01:46:45 +0000

--_c9693252-a969-45a1-9791-2b40937f6721_

Thank you to all who attended the outing.  You were all wonderful.  The tri=
p total was around 52 species which is down by 8-18 species.  Of note there=
 were fewer warblers than normal and no flycatchers at all.  Hermit thrushe=
s which are usually at every nook and cranny were all but vacant.  Another =
scarce bird this year in the area is the winter wren.  We heard one today, =
but it did not come out.  All but one had great looks at two northern water=
thrushes.  We spotted blackburnian warblers at quite a few different locati=
ons and thanks to the keen ears and eyes of one birder a pair of broad-wing=
ed hawks were a treat.  Other raptors observed were sharp-shinned hawk, red=
-tailed hawk and bald eagle. =20
=20
Chestnut-sided warblers are really scarce this year and yellow warblers and=
 common yellowthroats appear to be down in numbers in this area.  These are=
 my own personal observations, so others may notice differently.
=20
Swallows are also way down in this area so far.
=20
The real surprise is the number of shorebirds about.  With what we saw at P=
ort L'Herbert yesterday and in additon 15 more least sandpipers that I saw =
in a flyby there, and what was on Crescent Beach today there seems to be so=
mething strange going on.  Today at Crescent Beach we observed 17 black-bel=
lied plovers, two semi-palmated sandpipers, a greater yellowlegs, a least s=
andpiper and a dunlin.  I've not listed the normal shorebirds that we would=
 expect to see there, just the ones which should not be here at all now.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Try Chicktionary, a game that tests how many words you can form from the le=
tters given. Find this and more puzzles at Live Search Games!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/207=

--_c9693252-a969-45a1-9791-2b40937f6721_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Thank you to all who attended the outing.&nbsp; You were all wonderful.&nbs=
p; The trip total was around 52 species which is down by 8-18 species.&nbsp=
; Of note there were fewer warblers than normal and no flycatchers at all.&=
nbsp; Hermit thrushes which are usually at every nook and cranny were all b=
ut vacant.&nbsp; Another scarce bird this year in the area is the winter wr=
en.&nbsp; We heard one today, but it did not come out.&nbsp; All but one ha=
d great looks at two northern waterthrushes.&nbsp; We spotted blackburnian =
warblers at quite a few different locations and thanks to the keen ears and=
 eyes of one birder a pair of broad-winged hawks were a treat.&nbsp; Other =
raptors observed were sharp-shinned hawk, red-tailed hawk and bald eagle.&n=
bsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Chestnut-sided warblers are really scarce this year and yellow warblers and=
 common yellowthroats appear to be down in numbers in this area.&nbsp; Thes=
e are my own personal observations, so others may notice differently.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Swallows are also way down in this area so far.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The real surprise is the number of shorebirds about.&nbsp; With what we saw=
 at Port L'Herbert yesterday and in additon 15 more least sandpipers that I=
 saw in a flyby there, and what was on Crescent Beach today there seems to =
be something strange going on.&nbsp; Today at Crescent Beach we observed 17=
 black-bellied plovers, two semi-palmated sandpipers, a greater yellowlegs,=
 a least sandpiper and a dunlin.&nbsp; I've not listed the normal shorebird=
s that we would expect to see there, just the ones which should not be here=
 at all now.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_c9693252-a969-45a1-9791-2b40937f6721_--