[NatureNS] Find Mars in tonight's Sky along with Space Station

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 21:27:36 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-15--621261044
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

For those tuning in at this late hour..... you may catch these two
sky observations this evening.

MARS
As you may have heard, the Mars exploration craft ,Phoenix, has just
successfully landed on Mars (8:54 p.m. ADT).  I thought, since it was
clear folks may like to know that Mars is in our present evening sky.
At 10 p.m. it is about 30 degrees above the West horizon (about 3
fists sighted at arm's length above the horizon).  Light from Mars
requires between 15 and 16 minutes to reach Earth (1.8 Earth-Sun
distances).

I have posted a star chart for the evening sky at about 10:15 p.m.
(good for the next few evenings).  The Saturn- Regulus pair is a good
sky mark to start with because they are bright and the close pairing
makes them stand out, up in the southwest.  Mars is slightly dimmer
but bright relative to other stars, about 25 degrees lower right of
Saturn-Regulus.    Refer to this star diagram for relative
placement.   It the highlight does not work on your browser then go
to this website and click on the Locate Mars link. http://web.mac.com/
sherm39/iWeb/Site/main_index.html

SPACE STATION
Space station crosses the NW to NE shortly after 10:05 p.m., coming
into view near (above and to the right of the GEMINI stars) peaking
36 degrees above NNW at 10:07.

All the best,
   Sherman
--Apple-Mail-15--621261044

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>For those tuning in at =
this late hour..... you may catch these two sky observations this =
evening.</div><div><br =
heard, the Mars exploration craft ,Phoenix, has just successfully landed =
on Mars (8:54 p.m. ADT). =A0I thought, since it was clear folks may like =
to know that Mars is in our present evening sky. At 10 p.m. it is about =
30 degrees above the West horizon (about 3 fists sighted at arm's length =
above the horizon). =A0Light from Mars requires between 15 and 16 =
minutes to reach Earth (1.8 Earth-Sun distances).<div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>I have posted a star chart =
for the evening sky at about 10:15 p.m. (good for the next few =
evenings). =A0The Saturn- Regulus pair is a good sky mark to start with =
because they are bright and the close pairing makes them stand out, up =
in the southwest. =A0Mars is slightly dimmer but bright relative to =
other stars, about 25 degrees lower right of Saturn-Regulus. =A0 =A0Refer =
to=A0<a =
href=3D"http://web.mac.com/sherm39/iWeb/Site/main_index_files/Locate%2520M=
ars%2520080525b_1.jpg">this star diagram</a>=A0for relative placement. =A0=
 It the highlight does not work on your browser then go to this website =
and click on the Locate Mars link.=A0<a =
href=3D"http://web.mac.com/sherm39/iWeb/Site/main_index.html">http://web.m=
E STATION</div><div>Space station crosses the NW to NE shortly after =
10:05 p.m., coming into view near (above and to the right of the GEMINI =
stars) peaking =A036 degrees above NNW at 10:07.</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>All the =

--Apple-Mail-15--621261044--