[NatureNS] Re:Tri-coloured Heron in Lawrencetown - Update

Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 15:11:52 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1548093==.ALT

Hi there,

         Jean Hartley and I visited Lawrencetown Lake late this cool
windy morning and found the adult Tri-coloured Heron across from the
Provincial Park just at 12:00 noon.  The tide was high.  While we
watched the heron, an American Bittern came out of the cattails and
walked right in front of it.  There did not appear to be any
interaction between the two, although they were very close to one
another.  They were in the same binocular view so it was a great
chance to compare them.  It would have made for an intriguing
photograph.  Later the heron flew to another pond, giving us clear
views of its plumage.  It was still there when we left about
12:30.  Thanks to Liz Doull for finding and reporting this bird!

         We enjoyed watching the bittern too - it was out in the open
for awhile, patrolling the stubby cattail growth with its neck
outstretched, and holding its body almost horizontal - peculiar posture.

         Later we visited West Lawrencetown Road, where we ran into
Linda Conrad.  She showed us a hole in a dead stub which a Northern
Flicker had recently excavated.  The female laid one egg, and the
next day Starlings attacked and predated the nest, driving the flickers away.

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 05:13 PM 24/05/2008, Liz Doull  wrote:
>Saturday, May 24, 2008
>
>I was in Lawrencetown looking for my first American Bittern for
>2008. Instead, I found an adult TRI COLOURED HERON!  It was
>feeding  in one of the ponds in the Lawrencetown marsh across from
>the grey building/ beach house. The tide was high.  It was still
>there when I left at 1 pm.  It must be the same one that showed up
>in  Morein Bar, Cape Breton.

--=====================_1548093==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Jean
Hartley and I visited Lawrencetown Lake late this cool windy morning and
found the adult Tri-coloured Heron across from the Provincial Park just
at 12:00 noon.&nbsp; The tide was high.&nbsp; While we watched the heron,
an American Bittern came out of the cattails and walked right in front of
it.&nbsp; There did not appear to be any interaction between the two,
although they were very close to one another.&nbsp; They were in the same
binocular view so it was a great chance to compare them.&nbsp; It would
have made for an intriguing photograph.&nbsp; Later the heron flew to
another pond, giving us clear views of its plumage.&nbsp; It was still
there when we left about 12:30.&nbsp; Thanks to Liz Doull for finding and
reporting this bird!<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>We enjoyed
watching the bittern too - it was out in the open for awhile, patrolling
the stubby cattail growth with its neck outstretched, and holding its
body almost horizontal - peculiar posture.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Later we
visited West Lawrencetown Road, where we ran into Linda Conrad.&nbsp; She
showed us a hole in a dead stub which a Northern Flicker had recently
excavated.&nbsp; The female laid one egg, and the next day Starlings
attacked and predated the nest, driving the flickers away.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
I was in Lawrencetown looking for my first American Bittern for 2008.
Instead, I found an adult TRI COLOURED HERON!&nbsp; It was feeding&nbsp;
in one of the ponds in the Lawrencetown marsh across from the grey
building/ beach house. The tide was high.&nbsp; It was still there when I
left at 1 pm.&nbsp; It must be the same one that showed up in&nbsp;
Morein Bar, Cape Breton.</blockquote></body>