[NatureNS] Turkey Vultures, and opther changes

From: "John Sollows" <nhungjohn@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 10:31:53 -0300

 To:  All

From:  John Sollows

Date:  May 25/08

> It would be interesting to know where these birds were observed originally
> in the maritimes. Here on Brier Island they have been residents for 20 yrs
> or more. This is of course a questimate but should be in the ball park.
> Some of our senior Birders should have some info on this.

The question from Dave /Sharon raises a very good question, which I will do
my part to address, with a little avian history from the Yarmouth area:

(1) Turkey Vultures:

Let me first apologize for not being able to dig out some old diaries and a
slide.

I cannot remember the year, but the results of the Yarmouth Christmar Bird
Counts from 1982 or 1983 will show that  our group which reported a turkey
vulture at Town Point, Chebogue, near Yarmouth.  Earlier in the same year
(June?  July?   1982?  1983?) I was walking home along the Ellis Road from
the Yarmouth Air Show, when a turkey vulture soared up over the trees,
again, coming from Chebogue.  Somewhere in the house, I have a slide of the
bird.

I understand that a fur farm in Chebogue was responsible for attracting and
keeping the birds, but they have become common in the Yarmouth area only
within the past decade.

So, my first sighting down here was June or July, 1982 or 1983, and
sightings here have continuously increased since then. Now, they are very
unremarkable.

(2) Cardinals:

In May or June, 1992, I saw my first-ever Cardinal (a male) at our place on
Wyman Road, near Yarmouth.  The bird stayed for the day, and introduced us
to their song.

Cardinals are now commonplace in our area, and have colonized much more
quickly than the vultures, but both have been successful, and we often see
both in winter, as well as summer.

(3) Canada Jays, Evening Grosbeaks, Boreal Chickadees:

All very common winter birds in the '60's and '70's are now highly
remarkable!