[NatureNS] Turkey Vultures... + recent trip

Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:17:04 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_8397_9680516.1211660224430

Hi,

I agree with Dave and Sharon's observations re: Brier Island. Also, for the
last 10 years or so they have been encroaching into other areas of SW NS,
esp. Yarmouth Co. Now in the last year or so there are more and more
sightings from elsewhere in the province, as Joan Cz. has noted. They seem
to be regular now in scattered areas of King's Co., and for the last 2-3
years ther has beeen a small group (? family) between Middleton and the 101.
There was apparently a nest found a number of years ago on Digby Neck, but
it was kept pretty secret.

Liz and I have just come back from 10 days visiting friends in N. and
S.Carolina, where they were in small flocks in the sky nearly all the time
and everywhere (the Vultures, not the friends!). It was not really a birding
trip, although I did see 88 species, and I was able to re-acquaint myself
with the songs of Carolina Wrens, Towhees, Cardinals, Tufted Titmice,
Scarlet Tanagers,  E.Bluebirds, a Chuck-Will's Widow, etc., and was also
able to take a lot of photos. Oddly enough, although I was thrilled by all
those southern species that we only occasionally see in NS, the "best bird"
was an alternate plumaged Blackpoll Warbler, foraging by a stream in a
wooded area in a subdivision in Cary, near Raleigh - I suspect most unusual
in that situation.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com

------=_Part_8397_9680516.1211660224430

Hi,<br><br>I agree with Dave and Sharon&#39;s observations re: Brier Island. Also, for the last 10 years or so they have been encroaching into other areas of SW NS, esp. Yarmouth Co. Now in the last year or so there are more and more sightings from elsewhere in the province, as Joan Cz. has noted. They seem to be regular now in scattered areas of King&#39;s Co., and for the last 2-3 years ther has beeen a small group (? family) between Middleton and the 101. There was apparently a nest found a number of years ago on Digby Neck, but it was kept pretty secret.<br>
It would be interesting to know where these birds were observed originally in the maritimes. Here on Brier Island they have been residents for 20 yrs or more. This is of course a questimate but should be in the ball park. Some of our senior Birders should have some info on this.<br>
Dave <br>
B0P 1T0<br><br>rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com<br> ################### ------=_Part_8397_9680516.1211660224430--