[NatureNS] Massive areas of Dug-up Grassy Turf in Berwick???

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:37:26 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-3--1045470554
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Seeking some help on this situation:  I was visiting a friend in
Berwick area, today, and he was showing me several large areas where
a grassed surface is all dug up. I presume that it was done by skunks
mining larvae.  What larvae?   He says that several ravens are seen
in these areas too. But I  doubt that they are initiating the
original dig. They are just hoping to find something good under the
little sods already removed (I've never seen so many ravens as
congregate around his place -a poultry farm).

The areas where the turf is ripped up range between 2 square metres
to 10 or more square metres.   The exposed soil is a sandy loam, the
grassed area is actually a landing strip (that he keeps mowed) for a
light aircraft;  it is boardered by rows of 30-yr old white pine.
It is amazing, the total area that has been worked over.   He has not
experienced this before, at least nothing on this scale.   He is
wondering what is going on and what he should do.     I said that I
suspect that it has something to do with an infestation of some
insect larvae that skunks like ????

If I'm right, I bet someone on NatureNS probably has a suggestion or
two on what insect is behind the event.

Sherman

Sherman Williams
shermw@xcountry.tv

--Apple-Mail-3--1045470554

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Seeking some help on this =
situation: =A0I was visiting a friend in Berwick area, today, and he was =
showing me several large areas where a grassed surface is all dug up. I =
presume that it was done by skunks mining larvae. =A0What larvae? =A0 He =
says that several ravens are seen in these areas too. But I =A0doubt =
that they are initiating the original dig. They are just hoping to find =
something good under the little sods already removed (I've never seen so =
many ravens as congregate around his place -a poultry farm).=A0<div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>The areas where the turf =
is ripped up range between 2 square metres to 10 or more square metres. =
=A0 The exposed soil is a sandy loam, the grassed area is actually a =
landing strip=A0(that he keeps mowed)=A0for a light aircraft; =A0it is =
boardered by rows of 30-yr old white pine. =A0 It is amazing, the total =
area that has been worked over. =A0 He has not experienced this before, =
at least nothing on this scale. =A0=A0He is wondering what is going on =
and what he should do. =A0 =A0 I said that I suspect that it has =
something to do with an infestation of some insect larvae that skunks =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>If I'm right, I bet =
someone on NatureNS probably has a suggestion or two on what insect is =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><div>Sherman =
Williams</div><div><a =

--Apple-Mail-3--1045470554--