[NatureNS] Fwd: NSBS Field Trip - Historic Hants County

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:04:20 -0300

--Apple-Mail-5--1072657304
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
> Date: May 20, 2008 3:54:23 PM ADT
> To: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
> Subject: NSBS Field Trip - Historic Hants County
>
> Here's a brief report of yesterday's outing to Hants
> County:
>
> Nine die-hard birders braved the weather to meet at Mount Uniacke
> House on this rainy Victoria Day! Bob & Wendy McDonald, Clarence
> Stevens, Sr. and his granddaughter Leslie MacDonald, Bonnie & David
> Carmichael, Gail Bruhm, Carol Klar and Patricia Chalmers joined trip
> leader Suzanne Borkowski for a walk about the Estate grounds, and
> managed to rustle up 18 species:
>
> Canada Geese
> Am. Black Duck
> Mourning Dove
> Northern Flicker
> Blue Jay
> American Crow
> Common Raven
> Black-capped Chickadee
> Brown Creeper
> Golden-crowned Kinglet
> American Robin
> European Starling
> Northern Parula
> Yellow-rumped Warbler
> Black-throated Green Warbler
> Savannah Sparrow
> Dark-eyed Junco
> Common Grackle
>
> Later, Patricia Chalmers told us she heard a Blue-headed Vireo, making
> the trip leader feel much better.  I was sure I heard one as I drove
> up; but a few minutes later I told the group "There's the Blue-headed
> Vireo" when, in fact, it was a Robin!
>
> At Stop 2, Lake Martha,  just past Hwy #202, we saw nothing!  Mind
> you, it was pouring rain at that point.
>
> Stop 3, Coles Road, across from the lake, was a little better: we
> added Ovenbird, Purple Finch, Song Sparrow, Dark-eyed Junco, and Am.
> Goldfinch to our list.
>
> Between Stops 3 and 4 we had Rock Pigeons, and a Herring Gull flying
> overhead.
>
> At Stop #4, Elliott Road, Clarence Stevens detected a Pheasant; and at
> either the first or third stop, Pat Chalmers thought she heard a
> Veery.  Nothing else was seen or heard on Elliott Road by any of us, a
> place where birds normally abound!
>
> We finally gave in to the inevitable; and called it a day, with a
> grand total of 27 species - the lowest record on this longest-running
> trip for the NS Bird Society. (The previous record of 43 species was
> set in 1973).
>
> Better luck next year!
>
> Cheers;
> Suzanne

> Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try
> the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at
> http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-5--1072657304