[NatureNS] Wave of warblers and Bobolinks

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 21:59:57 -0300

During the last few days new migrants have been arriving on the Wolfville
Ridge around our home. Yesterday I heard my first Bobolink and today there
were several. Bobolinks have not been successful breeders around here for
some years.  Black-thr Greens have been around for a few days, today
Ovenbirds were calling, plus I heard other warbler species moving through
our woods but did not have time to investigate further. Yellow-rumps arrived
early and some still linger. A female Hummingbird joined our male (he
arrived May 9) on May 15.

A pair of Pileated Woodpeckers were checking tree trunks in earnest close to
our house yesterday.

Bernard Forsythe reports a Raven's nest nearby which contains FIVE young,
almost bigger than their parents, probably due to move out shortly.

Seeing Angus MacLean's report today of the recent arrival of warblers in
Palmeter's Woods  indicates that the fair number of warblers that Sheila
McCurdy and I found in Palmeter's Woods on May 10 (NSMC) were migrating
through, as we found mini flocks of Blk-thr Green (our total here was 36),
Yellow-rumps(35), Parulas(16). Ovenbirds were numerous(6),
Black-and-white(3), with single Chestnut-sided, Magnolia and a couple of N
Waterthrush. Blue-headed Vireo numbered 10 and three Least Flycatchers
suddenly appeared when we sat down to take a break! It turned out to be
quite a productive day.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts