[NatureNS] Voluntary Planning Public Meetings + Chimney Swifts

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: "List, NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: <forests@ecologyaction.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 02:34:47 -0300

--_b2bfb815-1399-4c69-8b5d-19e70bc46706_

   A side benefit of attending these meetings is that they finish at the ri=
ght time to check for Chimney Swifts.  On leaving the Middleton one about 2=
0:45 this evening (May 14), I went over to the school, and saw at least 65 =
swifts enter the chimney between 20:52 and 20:55.  There were none left aft=
er this, although they had been whirling around earlier, and some might hav=
e gone in earlier.  These were my first ones of the year.
=20
   The meetings were much as Jamie described them; evidently the forest and=
 mining industries had made everyone in those fields well aware of the impo=
rtance of the meetings. There was plenty of opportunity for everyone intere=
sted to have input, although the discussions are broken into the rather odd=
 categories of Forests, Biological Diversity, Minerals, and Parks, with no =
consideration of overall principles of land use, water use, ecosystem and n=
atural areas protection, nor of application of various intensities of envir=
onmental assessments to all resource-related desisions and activities.  The=
 recommendations at Middleton were somewhat more balanced than those that J=
amie noted, but rather diffuse and muddled.
Wayne Neily Tremont, Kings Co., Nova Scotia "Think globally, Act locally." =
- Ren=E9 Dubos, 1972. > Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 15:31:56 -0300> From: forest=
s@ecologyaction.ca> To: eac-forestalerts@lists.ecologyaction.ca> Subject: [=
ForestAlerts] Results from 2 Voluntary Planning Public Meetings> > Hello Fo=
lks,> > A quick up-date on the public meetings. I've attended two -- Pugwas=
h on > Monday and Parrsboro last night. In short: no support for improving =
> forestry practices at these meetings.> > Both of these meeting were well =
attended by employees or supporters of > the forestry and mining industries=
, particularly JD Irving. As a > result, here is a sample of the recommenda=
tions coming out of these > meetings:> > - we need less protected areas> - =
more intensive forest management; more government funding for this > type o=
f forestry and the silviculture that supports it> - guaranteed wood supply =
for industrial forestry operations> - ensured access for OHV anywhere and e=
verywhere > - need to let public know that current forestry practices are e=
xcellent> - need to abolish the moratorium on uranium exploration and minin=
g> - need to relax government regulations on mining> > Fortunately, I heard=
 that the meeting in Blockhouse last night went a > little better. Nonethel=
ess, it's crucial that we get people out to > these meetings to promote a d=
ifferent vision for Nova Scotia's natural > environment.> > Next meeting is=
 tonight (Wednesday) in Middleton. Next week is St. > Ann's, Inverness, Tus=
ket, Dartmouth, Inverness, Saulnierville, Middle > Musquodoboit, Debert and=
 New Minas. All meetings 6:30 - 9.> > Finally, it's also important to submi=
t written comments. This can be > done on-line at the Voluntary Planning we=
bsite: > https://vp.gov.ns.ca/projects/resources> > Talking points on fores=
try available at www.novascotiaforests.ca> > Don't hesitate to contact me w=
ith any questions or comments.> > Best regards, and thanks in advance for t=
aking part,> Jamie> > -- > Jamie Simpson (mailto:forests@ecologyaction.ca)>=
 Forest Conservation Coordinator> Standing Tall Campaign for Environmentall=
y Responsible Forestry,> Ecology Action Centre, 2705 Fern Lane, Halifax, No=
va Scotia, B3K 4L3 > 902.429.1335 (voice); 902.405.3716 (fax).> www.novasco=
tiaforests.ca & www.clearcutnovascotia.ca> > ______________________________=
forestalerts
Find hidden words, unscramble celebrity names, or try the ultimate crosswor=
d puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_b2bfb815-1399-4c69-8b5d-19e70bc46706_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
&nbsp;&nbsp; A side benefit of attending these meetings is that they finish=
 at the right time to check for Chimney Swifts.&nbsp; On leaving the Middle=
ton one about 20:45 this evening (May 14), I went over to the school, and s=
aw at least 65 swifts enter the chimney between 20:52 and 20:55.&nbsp; Ther=
e were none left after this, although they had been whirling around earlier=
, and some might have gone in earlier.&nbsp; These were my first ones of th=
e year.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; The meetings were much as Jamie described them; evidently the =
forest and mining industries had made everyone in those fields well aware o=
f the importance of the meetings. There was plenty of opportunity for every=
one interested to have input, although the discussions are broken into the =
rather odd categories of Forests, Biological Diversity, Minerals, and&nbsp;=
Parks, with no consideration of overall principles of land use, water use, =
ecosystem and natural areas protection, nor of application of various inten=
sities of environmental assessments to all resource-related desisions and a=
ctivities.&nbsp; The recommendations at Middleton were somewhat more balanc=
ed than those that Jamie noted, but rather diffuse and muddled.<BR><BR><BR>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont, Kings Co., Nova Scotia <BR><BR><BR>"Think glo=
bally, Act locally." - Ren=E9 Dubos, 1972. <BR></DIV><BR><BR>&gt; Date: Wed=
, 14 May 2008 15:31:56 -0300<BR>&gt; From: forests@ecologyaction.ca<BR>&gt;=
 To: eac-forestalerts@lists.ecologyaction.ca<BR>&gt; Subject: [ForestAlerts=
] Results from 2 Voluntary Planning Public Meetings<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Hello =
Folks,<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; A quick up-date on the public meetings. I've attend=
ed two -- Pugwash on <BR>&gt; Monday and Parrsboro last night. In short: no=
 support for improving <BR>&gt; forestry practices at these meetings.<BR>&g=
t; <BR>&gt; Both of these meeting were well attended by employees or suppor=
ters of <BR>&gt; the forestry and mining industries, particularly JD Irving=
. As a <BR>&gt; result, here is a sample of the recommendations coming out =
of these <BR>&gt; meetings:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; - we need less protected areas=
<BR>&gt; - more intensive forest management; more government funding for th=
is <BR>&gt; type of forestry and the silviculture that supports it<BR>&gt; =
- guaranteed wood supply for industrial forestry operations<BR>&gt; - ensur=
ed access for OHV anywhere and everywhere <BR>&gt; - need to let public kno=
w that current forestry practices are excellent<BR>&gt; - need to abolish t=
he moratorium on uranium exploration and mining<BR>&gt; - need to relax gov=
ernment regulations on mining<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Fortunately, I heard that th=
e meeting in Blockhouse last night went a <BR>&gt; little better. Nonethele=
ss, it's crucial that we get people out to <BR>&gt; these meetings to promo=
te a different vision for Nova Scotia's natural <BR>&gt; environment.<BR>&g=
t; <BR>&gt; Next meeting is tonight (Wednesday) in Middleton. Next week is =
St. <BR>&gt; Ann's, Inverness, Tusket, Dartmouth, Inverness, Saulnierville,=
 Middle <BR>&gt; Musquodoboit, Debert and New Minas. All meetings 6:30 - 9.=
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Finally, it's also important to submit written comments. =
This can be <BR>&gt; done on-line at the Voluntary Planning website: <BR>&g=
t; <A href=3D"https://vp.gov.ns.ca/projects/resources">https://vp.gov.ns.ca=
/projects/resources</A><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Talking points on forestry availab=
le at www.novascotiaforests.ca<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Don't hesitate to contact m=
e with any questions or comments.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Best regards, and thanks=
 in advance for taking part,<BR>&gt; Jamie<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -- <BR>&gt; Jam=
ie Simpson (mailto:forests@ecologyaction.ca)<BR>&gt; Forest Conservation Co=
ordinator<BR>&gt; Standing Tall Campaign for Environmentally Responsible Fo=
restry,<BR>&gt; Ecology Action Centre, 2705 Fern Lane, Halifax, Nova Scotia=
, B3K 4L3 <BR>&gt; 902.429.1335 (voice); 902.405.3716 (fax).<BR>&gt; www.no=
vascotiaforests.ca &amp; www.clearcutnovascotia.ca<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; _______=