[NatureNS] House Finch, Digby, Migration Day Count

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: "List, NS-RBA" <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 19:24:00 -0300

--_138b31bc-a1a6-4770-b1f4-3a71c7476c05_

Hello all,=20
=20
  As others noted, the weather Saturday (May 10) was not very conducive for=
 the migration count, and I got only about 46 species this year.  In Digby =
Co., the 35-40 km/hr NE wind made it seem much colder than the official 6 d=
egrees, and kept most insectivores out of sight - no swallows, flycatchers,=
 and only four warbler species (Yellow-rumped, Palm, Black-throated Green, =
and one Magnolia) were observed in my area from Digby to Culloden.   There =
were no really rare species; four Turkey Vultures drifting westward by Mt. =
Pleasant were interesting, as were 4 White-crowned Sparrows at feeders in t=
he area - a species that I almost never get at home.
=20
  Athough I am not sure of their current status in NS, a highlight for me w=
as a pair of House Finches occupying the shrubs in front of 33 Lighthouse R=
d. in Digby.  These are easily viewed from the road, but there are no spots=
 nearby to pull off except driveways.  I have seen few records of the speci=
es away from Halifax and Yarmouth in recent years, and this was new for my =
Digby Co. life list.
=20
Good birding,
Wayne Neily Tremont, Kings Co., Nova Scotia "Beauty is truth, and truth bea=
uty," - John Keats, 1820.=20
Find hidden words, unscramble celebrity names, or try the ultimate crosswor=
d puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_138b31bc-a1a6-4770-b1f4-3a71c7476c05_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hello all, <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp; As others noted, the weather Saturday (May 10) was not very conduciv=
e for the migration count, and I got only about 46 species this year.&nbsp;=
 In Digby Co., the 35-40 km/hr NE wind made it seem much colder than the of=
ficial 6 degrees, and kept most insectivores out of sight - no swallows, fl=
ycatchers, and only four warbler species (Yellow-rumped, Palm, Black-throat=
ed Green, and one Magnolia) were&nbsp;observed&nbsp;in my area from Digby t=
o Culloden.&nbsp;&nbsp; There were no really rare species; four Turkey Vult=
ures drifting westward by Mt. Pleasant were interesting, as were 4 White-cr=
owned Sparrows at feeders in the area - a species that I almost never get a=
t home.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
&nbsp; Athough I am not sure of their current status in NS, a highlight for=
 me was a pair of House Finches occupying the shrubs in front of 33 Lightho=
use Rd. in Digby.&nbsp; These are easily viewed from the road, but there ar=
e no spots nearby to pull off except driveways.&nbsp; I have seen few recor=
ds of the species away from Halifax and Yarmouth in recent years, and this =
was new for my Digby Co. life list.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Good birding,<BR><BR>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont, Kings Co., Nova Scotia <BR><BR>"Beauty is tru=
th, and truth beauty," - John Keats, 1820. <BR></DIV><br /><hr />Sign in no=
w! Windows Live Messenger is giving you a chance to win $1000 a day until M=
ay 12th <a href=3D'http://g.msn.ca/ca55/214' target=3D'_new'>Check out Sign=
InAndWIN.ca today!</a></body>

--_138b31bc-a1a6-4770-b1f4-3a71c7476c05_--