[NatureNS] Banded Goose Info from Onslo

Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 23:06:04 -0300
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi James,
Interesting story, yesterday, about a possibly 17-year old banded goose, but I
was intrigued also by the ambiguity in the letter sequence and the
supposed two
alternatives, which I don't understand, so here's a stab at it.

Although it is possible to make an optical system that reflects (flips)
an image
so that M-2-V generates almost a reversed lateral reflection V-S-M (the '2'
would mirror-reflect to look most like an 'S'), simple magnifiers and
commercial refracting telescopes don't do this, as far as I know.  As you say,
the common expression is that they 'invert' the image, but this word
itself can
be misleading, and what they actually do is to rotate the image through 180
degrees (rotate it through a half circle). This is not the same as
mirror-flipping.  So if the best first guess is M-2-V, when seen as an image
seen through a 'rotating' telescope this would become most like Lambda-Z-W,
where Lambda is the Greek capital letter that looks like an A but has no
cross-bar.  If instead you tried to interpret it upside down 'in your
head' but
reading now (correctly) in reverse from right to left, you should still
come up
with M-2-V and never V-2-M.  V-2-M would only happen if you tried to interpret
it inside your head, incorrectly, from left to right.

Does this help resolve which it was, or am I missing something (probably)? I
guess the big picture is that either way it is still a rather old
banded goose.
Reflectively,
Steve