[NatureNS] Albino Grackle

Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 15:28:23 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-8--133330447

I thought true albinos had pink eyes.  If this individual has normal =20
(for grackles) yellow eyes and some dark areas, he (or she) may be =20
something other than a true albino.
There is a picture of a leucistic Common Grackle at =
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucism

Someone should take a good picture of your leucistic grackle.

=97Paul Boyer
On May 6, 2008, at 3:05 PM, David W. Johnston wrote:

> We have the usual collection of newly arrived birds here in Port =20
> Hawkesbury with one exception:
> Today Mary and I both observed a total albino Common Grackle - at =20
> least that is what we believe it is. We saw it three times - the =20
> last time with my scope. There are many Common Grackle around just =20
> now.
> This bird has the shape, size and look of a Common Grackle, the =20
> distinctive yellow eye, long, square tail and dark, rather large =20
> bill.  It has a bit of darkness under the eyes (auricular area?) and =20=

> a small dark spot on the breast but, otherwise, is completely white.
> I wish some experienced birder could observe it but there is no =20
> guarantee that it will still be around in days to come. I would =20
> appreciate comments  - especially as to how rare this bird might be. =20=

> David Johnston
>
> --=20
> David W. Johnston
> Mary K. Johnston
> 207 Hiram St.
> Port Hawkesbury  N.S.
> B9A 2C3
>
> 902 625 1534
>
> dwj.jem@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-8--133330447

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I thought true albinos had pink =
eyes. &nbsp;If this individual has normal (for grackles) yellow eyes and =
some dark areas, he (or she) may be something other than a true =
albino.<br>There is a picture of a leucistic Common Grackle at&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leucism">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki=
David W. Johnston wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite">We have =
the usual collection of newly arrived birds here in Port Hawkesbury with =
one exception:<br>Today Mary and I both observed a total albino Common =
Grackle - at least that is what we believe it is. We saw it three times =
- the last time with my scope. There are many Common Grackle around just =
now.<br>This bird has the shape, size and look of a Common Grackle, the =
distinctive yellow eye, long, square tail and dark, rather large bill. =
&nbsp;It has a bit of darkness under the eyes (auricular area?) and a =
small dark spot on the breast but, otherwise, is completely white.<br>I =
wish some experienced birder could observe it but there is no guarantee =
that it will still be around in days to come. I would appreciate =
comments &nbsp;- especially as to how rare this bird might be. David =
1534<br><br><a =
href=3D"mailto:dwj.jem@ns.sympatico.ca">dwj.jem@ns.sympatico.ca</a><br></b=

--Apple-Mail-8--133330447--