[NatureNS] Great Atlas and birding day.

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:53:39 +0000

--_2909a6e5-cb44-4f79-a7f6-0a419d0eeece_

First off my first actual butterfly for the new year was a lovely spring az=
ure, in Indian Path. =20
=20
David Walmark and I went out birding with the intent to Atlas in my square =
at Blue Rocks this morning.  Well we sort've pouched as on the way there we=
 found such an array of returning migrants, that we could not resist stoppi=
ng.  Along Indian Path we stumbled upon several palm warblers, a yellow-rum=
ped warbler, a swamp sparrow, loads of ruby-crowned kinglets and lots of ot=
her vocal species.  The best bird was a vocalizing and flycatching Eastern =
Phoebe.  It was perching on top of trees over a small area and sounding it'=
s call.  We also watched a black-capped chickadee bringing nesting material=
 into the top of a broken tree.
=20
Ruby-crowned kinglets were everywhere and have returned in force.  Northern=
 Flickers were very prevalent and sounding at every turn.  At Blue Rocks, o=
ur most exciting find was at least five ruby-crowned kinglets in one spot a=
nd we watched a golden-crowned kinglet as it collected lichens for nesting.=
  I also watched an American robin fly into and out of a shed at Blue Rocks=
 with nesting material.  So it definitely is not to early for us to be out =
atlassing.  I think this is the first time I've actually witnessed a golden=
-crowned kinglet in the act of collecting nesting material. =20
=20
It is going to be a great year for ospreys here.  I checked out more nest s=
ites this morning and every one was occupied.  So out of seven to eight nes=
t sites checked all are occupied.  I still have quite a few other areas to =
look at also.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore =20
Find hidden words, unscramble celebrity names, or try the ultimate crosswor=
d puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_2909a6e5-cb44-4f79-a7f6-0a419d0eeece_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
First off my first actual butterfly for the new year was a lovely spring az=
ure, in Indian Path.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
David Walmark and I went out birding with the intent to Atlas in my square =
at Blue Rocks this morning.&nbsp; Well we sort've pouched as on the way the=
re we found such an array of returning migrants, that we could not resist s=
topping.&nbsp; Along Indian Path we stumbled upon several palm warblers, a =
yellow-rumped warbler, a swamp sparrow, loads of ruby-crowned kinglets and =
lots of other vocal species.&nbsp; The best bird was a vocalizing and flyca=
tching Eastern Phoebe.&nbsp; It was perching on top of trees over a small a=
rea and sounding it's call.&nbsp; We also watched a black-capped chickadee =
bringing nesting material into the top of a broken tree.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Ruby-crowned kinglets were everywhere and have returned in force.&nbsp; Nor=
thern Flickers were very prevalent and sounding at every turn.&nbsp; At Blu=
e Rocks, our most exciting find was at least five ruby-crowned kinglets in =
one spot and we watched a golden-crowned kinglet as it collected lichens fo=
r nesting.&nbsp; I also watched&nbsp;an American robin fly into and out of =
a shed at Blue Rocks with nesting material.&nbsp; So it definitely is not t=
o early for us to be out atlassing.&nbsp; I think this is the first time I'=
ve actually witnessed a golden-crowned kinglet in the act of collecting nes=
ting material.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
It is going to be a great year for ospreys here.&nbsp;&nbsp;I checked out m=
ore nest sites this morning and every one was occupied.&nbsp; So out of sev=
en to eight nest sites checked all are occupied.&nbsp; I still have quite a=
 few other areas to look at also.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore&nbsp; <BR><br /><hr />Sign in now! Windows Live Messenger is g=
iving you a chance to win $1000 a day until May 12th <a href=3D'http://g.ms=
n.ca/ca55/214' target=3D'_new'>Check out SignInAndWIN.ca today!</a></body>

--_2909a6e5-cb44-4f79-a7f6-0a419d0eeece_--