[NatureNS] Piping plover nesting close

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:14:46 +0000

--_6ec61043-281c-46f1-b818-df2c6fba015c_

Hi all:
=20
An interesting morning at Cherry Hill Beach.  First off with Noel and an al=
ready stressed beach environment a new right of way is being established ov=
er the dune area at the end of the beach.  There is a huge pit which no nor=
mal vehicle can pass over in the middle of the established right of way.  D=
ue to the beaches act, I'm assuming the establishment of a new right of way=
 is not legal to bypass the hole as the dune area is already under a state =
of stress there and much has been lost already.  Of course with Noel destro=
ying all of the signage none now exists and likely nothing can stand at the=
 moment.  Nothing against surfers, as most are good when it comes to respec=
ting the beaches they use, but one today had been part of the establishment=
 of a new right of way on Cherry Hill and had bypassed the crater and was p=
arked on the cobble where he should not have been able to go. =20
=20
The good news is two pairs of piping plovers firmly established on Cherry H=
ill Beach.  From tracks this pair appear to have been there for some time a=
nd have well scoped the area.  The first pair that I saw look like they mig=
ht have a nest established or are very close.  The one of the pair was very=
 hunch backed and crouched low as I have seen them when a nest is nearby or=
 eggs laying is about to begin. =20
=20
The second pair was even more exciting as I was able to observe and hear so=
mething I have never seen in all of the years that I have been watching the=
se birds.  I heard what sounded to me like a willet or greater yellow-legs =
on steroids.  I was scanning for this exotic bird that was making the call =
and I suspected what would be a new species for me.  I finally focused and =
the callee, which was a male piping plover.  He had made a scrape in the mi=
ddle of an upraised dune area and was bobbing his tail up and down in the h=
ole, with wings splayed outwards all the time making the call.  He was tryi=
ng to get his mates attention to come and expect the wonderful scrape that =
he had made. =20
=20
I was also able to start guardian duty by showing two ladies the piping plo=
ver.  They knew about the birds and had seen the roped off area, but never =
had seen one of these birds, so it was a great treat from them to observe a=
n actual bird through the scope from a distance.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Find hidden words, unscramble celebrity names, or try the ultimate crosswor=
d puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_6ec61043-281c-46f1-b818-df2c6fba015c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
An interesting morning at Cherry Hill Beach.&nbsp; First off with Noel and =
an already stressed beach environment a new right of way is being establish=
ed over the dune area at the end of the beach.&nbsp; There is a huge pit wh=
ich no normal vehicle can pass over in the middle of the established right =
of way.&nbsp; Due to the beaches act, I'm assuming the establishment of a n=
ew right of way is not legal to bypass the hole as the dune area is already=
 under a state of stress there and much has been lost already.&nbsp; Of cou=
rse with Noel destroying all of the signage none now exists and likely noth=
ing can stand at the moment.&nbsp; Nothing against surfers, as most are goo=
d when it comes to respecting the beaches they use, but one today had been =
part of the establishment of a new right of way on Cherry Hill and had bypa=
ssed the crater and was parked on the cobble where he should not have been =
able to go.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The good news is two pairs of piping plovers firmly established on Cherry H=
ill Beach.&nbsp; From tracks this pair appear to have been there for some t=
ime and have well scoped the area.&nbsp; The first pair that I saw look lik=
e they might have a nest established or are very close.&nbsp; The one of th=
e pair was very hunch backed and crouched low as I have seen them when a ne=
st is nearby or eggs laying is about to begin.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The second pair was even more exciting as I was able to observe and hear so=
mething I have never seen in all of the years that I have been watching the=
se birds.&nbsp; I heard what sounded to me like a willet or greater yellow-=
legs on steroids.&nbsp; I was scanning for this exotic bird that was making=
 the call and I suspected what would be a new species for me.&nbsp; I final=
ly focused and the callee, which was a male piping plover.&nbsp; He had mad=
e a scrape in the middle of an upraised dune area and was bobbing his tail =
up and down in the hole, with wings splayed outwards all the time making th=
e call.&nbsp; He was trying to get his mates attention to come and expect t=
he wonderful scrape that he had made.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I was also able to start guardian duty by showing two ladies the piping plo=
ver.&nbsp; They knew about the birds and had seen the roped off area, but n=
ever had seen one of these birds, so it was a great treat from them to obse=
rve an actual bird through the scope from a distance.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />Sign in now! Windows Live Messenger is giving y=
ou a chance to win $1000 a day until May 12th <a href=3D'http://g.msn.ca/ca=
55/214' target=3D'_new'>Check out SignInAndWIN.ca today!</a></body>

--_6ec61043-281c-46f1-b818-df2c6fba015c_--