[NatureNS] Have the Redpolls headed north?

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:59:42 -0300

Hi Gang

Here's the take on the Canso Area Redpolls

All last week I had a flock of 125-150 C. Redpoll. wich was the largest
flock for a couple of weeks now. This flock stayed arround for 4-5 days @ my
place. As with the other flocks as of late once a favorable evening for
migration sets in they depart. Usualy a couple of days pass befor there's a
build-up arround my feeders again and the cycle is then repeated.

This morning I have 20-30 @ my feeders and again there more skittish then
the flock that left several nights ago. This is a sign of new
arriving/building birds. Although they are still a  number of C. Redpolls
going through the area. The build-ups get less impressive each time now
(boardering meager). One note is that I've only had 2 Hoary Redpolls over
the past several weeks (one at a time in different flocks). I'm sure that
northern Cape Breaton (Sunrise Valley) is probability seeing the same
similar build-up and then fly-out as we are here along the cooler coast.

Tom K.
Canso