[NatureNS] Red Crossbills and Owl Monitoring Route

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:50:30 +0000

--_d85eb239-a7b8-444e-9015-19ab3d493322_

From: jrhbirder@hotmail.comTo: naturens@chebucto.ns.caSubject: [NatureNS] R=
ed Crossbills and Owl Monitoring RouteDate: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:46:54 +0000

Hi all: This morning one pair of red crossbills showed up at my feeders in =
Dublin Shore.  When I left for work the male was on top of the apple tree v=
ocalizing.  It sort've makes me wonder if it is not one of the pairs that n=
ested nearby last year.  Sorry Ian, I forgot to take a photo, but suspect t=
hat the pair will stick around to nest so I will remember the next time the=
y are around to get a pic, so that the subspecies can be determined. In run=
ning the owl route for Lapland/Laconna last night the weather was great.  D=
orothy Poole and Gary Selig helped me with such.  It was the quietest I've =
ever had it at the stops.  It did not look good for the first half of the r=
oute with no habitat left and only one barred a long ways off and I will fi=
nish tonight with this...
=20
In continuation, There was also one northern saw-whet at a distance.  The l=
ast half of the route was very productive.  We ended the evening with 14 ba=
rred owls, three northern saw-whets, and one great horned owl.  We also had=
 an American woodcock, numerous wood frogs, less vocal spring peepers than =
normal, common loons, and some American robins.
 James R. HirtleDublin Shore

Sign in today. When you sign in to Windows Live Messenger you could win $10=
00 a day until May 12th. Learn more at SignInAndWIN.ca=20
Enter today for your chance to win $1000 a day=97today until May 12th. Lear=
n more at SignInAndWIN.ca
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/215=

--_d85eb239-a7b8-444e-9015-19ab3d493322_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
<BR><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>

<HR>
<BR>
From: jrhbirder@hotmail.com<BR>To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>Subject: [Nat=
ureNS] Red Crossbills and Owl Monitoring Route<BR>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19=
:46:54 +0000<BR><BR>
<META content=3D"Microsoft SafeHTML" name=3DGenerator>
<STYLE>
.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P
{padding:0px;}
.ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage
{font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}
</STYLE>
Hi all:<BR>&nbsp;<BR>This morning one pair of red crossbills showed up at m=
y feeders in Dublin Shore.&nbsp; When I left for work the male was on top o=
f the apple tree vocalizing.&nbsp; It sort've makes me wonder if it is not =
one of the pairs that nested nearby last year.&nbsp; Sorry Ian, I forgot to=
 take a photo, but suspect that the pair will stick around to nest so I wil=
l remember the next time they are around to get a pic, so that the subspeci=
es can be determined.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>In running the owl route for Lapland/Lac=
onna last night the weather was great.&nbsp; Dorothy Poole and Gary Selig h=
elped me with such.&nbsp; It was the quietest I've ever had it at the stops=
.&nbsp; It did not look good for the first half of the route with no habita=
t left and only one barred a long ways off and I will finish tonight with t=
his...<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
In continuation, There was also one northern saw-whet at a distance.&nbsp; =
The last half of the route was very productive.&nbsp; We ended the evening =
with 14 barred owls, three northern saw-whets, and one great horned owl.&nb=
sp; We also had an American woodcock, numerous wood frogs, less vocal sprin=
g peepers than normal,&nbsp;common loons,&nbsp;and some American robins.<BR=

&nbsp;<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>Dublin Shore<BR><BR><BR>

<HR>
<BR>
Sign in today. When you sign in to Windows Live Messenger you could win $10=
00 a day until May 12th. <A href=3D"http://g.msn.ca/ca55/209" target=3D_bla=
nk>Learn more at SignInAndWIN.ca</A> <BR></BLOCKQUOTE><br /><hr />Sign in t=
o Windows Live Messenger, and enter for your chance to win $1000 a day=97to=
day until May 12th. <a href=3D'http://g.msn.ca/ca55/210' target=3D'_new'>Vi=
sit SignInAndWIN.ca</a></body>

--_d85eb239-a7b8-444e-9015-19ab3d493322_--