[NatureNS] robber fly, #6

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:06:13 -0300
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Angus MacLean <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi Angus, Lance and others fly-bitten,
Yes, this vaguely rang a bell.  It seems that D. baumhaueri is an older
synonym
for the more recently preferred D. hyalipennis, according to a half-detailed
paper trail which you might look at in the correspondence around a Bugguide
picture of Dioctria, which site also has some pictures from Tom Murray:
bugguide.net/node/view/13727
and also
bugguide.net/node/view/13729
or just google to Bugguide.net -- you don't have to be a registered member to
use it.  Type Dioctria in the Search box to see about a dozen images, mostly
males, but including a couple of females (your photo looks crisper).  Bev
Wigney (thanks Lance and sorry Bev, well at least one spelling alternative was
correct) had a really nice pic but maybe she took it down - I haven't checked.

Incidentally Angus, Bugguide has photos of a wide range of quality,
some not so
hot, but none of them exceeding the quality of those of yours that I've
seen. You should really think of posting your collection of insect
photos there as
well at some point.  The site has become a major resource for insect
identification, and I've seen comments by taxonomists whose names I
happened to
recognize, who seem to trawl their specialities periodically.  They are much
more likely to do that there as they know about the site, but probably not
likely to visit about someone's unknown personal site.  So if you post your
stuff there and can get it sorted into the correct family, sooner or later
someone with experience trawling there may comment usefully on the ID of your
unknown specimens.
Cheers,
Steve
Quoting Angus MacLean <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca>:
> Thanks very much, Steve. I couldn't find it on Bev's site. However it
> was on several others but the abdomen was dark.
>
> Having set me on the right track (i.e. Dioctria), I find the
> illustration of "Dioctria baumhaueri" in Stephen Marshall's book
> (photo #452.7) is good for both the abdomen and the colour of the
> legs. Checking further I found this species on Tom Murray's site and
> again features seemed to agree with my photo. (Note these are both
> females). The latter is here:
> http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/image/30584715
>
> What do you think?
> Angus
>
> At 04:48 PM 13/04/2008, you wrote:
>> Angus:
>> #6 is an interesting small Robber Fly that I collected quite commonly in our
>> garden in Halifax in mid summer last year and finally identified first via a
>> great picture in Ontarian Bev Widney's web site (spelling -- maybe
>> Bev Wigney,
>> can't find her e-mail at the moment to check). It is genus Dioctria, species
>> almost certainly Dioctria hyalipennis; try Bugguide.net too.  In
>> your picture,
>> the bulging orange tear-drop abdomen identifies a female.  I
>> occasionally found
>> one sucking the life out of a small midges and once an even bigger
>> muscid fly.
>> Steve
>>
>> Quoting Angus MacLean <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca>:
>>> Here are a few pics of flies from the past two summers:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/58321572@N00/2409208150/in/photostream/
>>>
>>> 1. Bee Fly
>>> 2. Bee Mimic (Hover Fly)
>>> 3. Bee Fly
>>> 4. Eastern Tree Hole Mosquito (interesting name!!)
>>> 5. Hover Fly-Unknown. Could use help on this one!