[NatureNS] Daphne m.

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:51:18 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Heather Drope wrote:

>As for the medical use of daphne, no one has come up with a use for the
>deadly shrub. I would love to hear of a documented use of it. Maybe used
>to spring clean a body ?  Just a guess.. Heather

Hi Heather & All,            Apr 13, 2008
    Most of page 292 in Materia Medica for Nurses (Blumgarten, 644 pp.,
1915) was devoted to Mezereum, obtained from the bark of _Daphne
mezereum_. It was used both externally and internally.

    According to Warming (Handbook of Systematic Botany, 620 pp., 1895),
the bark of _Daphne mezereum_ and _D. laureola_ is officinal (p. 449).

    In addition, a 1957 Dominion Herb Distributors list includes
Mezereon bark; Mezereon being a variant of Mezereum (.Webster's
Dictionary, 2620 pp., 1914).

    That qualifies in my judgment as documentation of medical use.
Alison writes to a Pharmacologist friend, who told us many years ago
that some 80% (?) of German Pharmaceuticals were herbal based, several
times a year and she may be able to fill in some background.

    Herbal medicines, like so many effective remedies such as Epsom
Salts for boils and swellings, boric acid for eyewash, and Alum for
facial cuts and chapped lips, not being as profitable as Tonslix,
Umpisol (and other drugs documented in today's Opus) are falling by the
wayside.

    So far as I know that _Hepatica_  in New Minas has flickered out. If
you see some there Heather then let me know.

Yt, DW, Kentville