[NatureNS] Telescope advice

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:40:47 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_14099_23315907.1207860052606

Hi,

I don't know that particular model, but I suspect that if you buy him a
telescope for that price it will be hard to look through, he field of view
will be very limited, and the image will be poor and fuzzy. If he expects to
look through it and see images of nebulae, galaxies and planets like those
on the web or in books he's likely to be disappointed. Far better to get him
a reasonable pair of binoculars. If he has really set his heart on a
telescope, either save up a thousand or two dollars for a decent one, or at
least make sure he fully understands the limitations of a cheap one. (BTW,
same principles apply to beginner birders).

Richard

--
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com

------=_Part_14099_23315907.1207860052606

Hi,<br><br>I don&#39;t know that particular model, but I suspect that if you buy him a telescope for that price it will be hard to look through, he field of view will be very limited, and the image will be poor and fuzzy. If he expects to look through it and see images of nebulae, galaxies and planets like those on the web or in books he&#39;s likely to be disappointed. Far better to get him a reasonable pair of binoculars. If he has really set his heart on a telescope, either save up a thousand or two dollars for a decent one, or at least make sure he fully understands the limitations of a cheap one. (BTW, same principles apply to beginner birders).<br>
Dear All Stargazers, &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Apr 10, 2008<br>
 &nbsp; Our 11 year-old grandson who is very keen on stars, planets, astronomy etc wants a telescope and has settled on a Canadian Tire TASCO 675X ($199.99).<br>
 &nbsp; Can anyone comment on whether this is a good buy for the price or as Giles says, &quot;Merry Junk&#39; ?<br>
Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville<br>
B0P 1T0<br><br>rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com<br> ################### ------=_Part_14099_23315907.1207860052606--