[NatureNS] re identification of young seal

Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:44:22 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

    &lt;DIV style=3
------=_Part_27236_4025444.1207662262141

And the winner is...

I should have thought to take a front-on picture, but I forgot about the
nostril shape being diagnostic (I forget which species has got what, but I
remember something now about the nostrils).

So the skull is out of the beetle tank and washed. A palatal view (i.e.
looking up towards the palate) is at:
http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/greysealpup.jpg. Note the red arrow.

According to Banfield's Mammals of Canada, "The dentition (of the Grey Seal)
is strong: the cheek teeth are mostly simple cones; the first tooth behind
the canines is pushed medially out of line, and there is a gap between the
fourth and fifth upper cheek teeth."

The red arrow indicates the the first cheek tooth, which points medially
(towards the middle). However, there is no gap between the fourth and fifth
cheek teeth (these are counted from the front, so indicate the second last
and last cheek teeth) that is larger than the gap between any other pair of
cheek teeth, but this could be attributable to us seeing only the milk
dentition; perhaps the adult dentition better reflects this.

Banfield says about the Harbour Seal, "...the posterior margin of the palate
is v-shaped; a bony nasal septum extends behind the palate." Neither is true
for this skull, but again, we're dealing with a pup here, which complicates
things.

Laurie's comment below is also strong evidence for this skull being that of
a Grey Seal.

So, unless we would expect to see strong changes in palate shape, nasal
septum exposure and first cheek tooth alignment, I'm happy to call this a
Grey Seal.

Thanks for useful discussions and my friend Heather (and Moose, the dog) for
finding this specimen.

Randy
...in the boonies of Antigonish County