[NatureNS] Wintering orioles in Nova Scotia, 2007-08

Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:44:07 -0300
From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi, Ian.

I know of one Baltimore Oriole that made it through the winter in
Louisbourg, in the yard of my former house on Upper Warren Street.  The new
owner, Peter Chiasson, was unfamiliar with feeding techniques involving
grapes, oranges, hulled sunflower seeds and chopped nutmeats, grape jelly,
soft suet mixes etc. etc.  He got this oriole through the winter amazingly
on sugar syrup, returning home with great dedication every four hours to
replenish the supply of unfrozen syrup.  There are numerous other feeders in
the neighbourhood, however, where it might have been finding other fare.
The oriole arrived in November and was still alive and well on March 20th,
when I spoke with Peter.  I'll check on a last-seen date for you.

Cheers,
Susann