[NatureNS] Re-cap Blanche/Bacarro outing

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 13:37:25 +0000

--_acf50678-3493-406d-8071-7d6c430ba88b_

Hi all:
=20
Well with a projected temperature of plus five, cloud and sun, and 20 km wi=
nds, it was presumed that the day would be pleasant.  The weather was not w=
hat we expected as the sun did not appear until on the way home.  It was ov=
ercast and very windy, probably between 50-60 km and very cold.  With winte=
r clothing on, it chilled to the bone, so that a warm up was required with =
returning to the vehicle.  Having said this it was not a bad day for the bi=
rds as we found 45 plus species. =20
=20
Noteables for the day were the two American wigeons and two wood ducks at P=
ort Clyde, compliments of Sandy Hiltz's report, a greater yellowleg at Lyle=
s Bay, six brown-headed cowbirds in a field with 50 American robins at Port=
 Clyde, and two Ring-necked ducks at Upper Port LaTour.  Along the route tw=
o members of the group were able to see a Wilson's snipe.  We had parked be=
side the road by a birdy location, with lots of activity and the snipe flew=
 out of the ditch right beside Clarence Stevens Sr. and across the nose of =
Elizabeth Doull.  This all happened so fast that no one else saw the bird. =
 At Blanche, Clarence Stevens Sr. drove ahead of the group at one point and=
 backed up to let us know his wife Fran had spotted a pied-billed grebe.  W=
e were all able to get an excellent view of this bird which is not common t=
o that area at all.  A pair of northern pintails were observed by a few mem=
bers of the group at Blanche also.  A couple of nothern gannets at Bacarro =
were the only highlight of interest other than some black scoters and the u=
sual suspects. =20
=20
Once the trip wrapped up, I decided to check out the location of the Americ=
an kestrel seen by Dorothy Poole and I a week before then.  I did not expec=
t it to be present due to the vast winds.  To our surprise the bird was pre=
sent in the exact same spot.  On the way back home at Port Joli, there were=
 200 Canada Geese and 23 buffleheads. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
If you like crossword puzzles, then you'll love Flexicon, a game which comb=
ines four overlapping crossword puzzles into one!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/208=

--_acf50678-3493-406d-8071-7d6c430ba88b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Well with a projected temperature of plus five, cloud and sun, and 20 km wi=
nds,&nbsp;it was presumed that the day would be pleasant.&nbsp; The weather=
 was not what we expected as the sun did not appear until on the way home.&=
nbsp; It was overcast and very windy, probably between 50-60 km and very co=
ld.&nbsp; With winter clothing on, it chilled to the bone, so that a warm u=
p was required with returning to the vehicle.&nbsp; Having said this it was=
 not a bad day for the birds as we found 45 plus species.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Noteables for the day were the two American wigeons and two wood ducks at P=
ort Clyde, compliments of Sandy Hiltz's report, a greater yellowleg at Lyle=
s Bay, six brown-headed cowbirds in a field with 50 American robins at Port=
 Clyde, and two Ring-necked ducks at Upper Port LaTour.&nbsp; Along the rou=
te two members of the group were able to see a Wilson's snipe.&nbsp; We had=
 parked beside the road by a birdy location, with lots of activity and the =
snipe flew out of the ditch right beside Clarence Stevens Sr. and across th=
e nose of Elizabeth Doull.&nbsp; This all happened so fast that no one else=
 saw the bird.&nbsp; At Blanche, Clarence Stevens Sr. drove ahead of the gr=
oup at one point and backed up to let us know his wife Fran had spotted a p=
ied-billed grebe.&nbsp; We were all able to get an excellent view of this b=
ird which is not common to that area at all.&nbsp; A pair of northern pinta=
ils were observed by a few members of the group at Blanche also.&nbsp; A co=
uple of nothern gannets at Bacarro were the only highlight of interest othe=
r than some black scoters and the usual suspects.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Once the trip wrapped up, I decided to check out the location of the Americ=
an kestrel seen by Dorothy Poole and I a week before then.&nbsp; I did not =
expect it to be present due to the vast winds.&nbsp; To our surprise the bi=
rd was present in the exact same spot.&nbsp; On the way back home at Port J=
oli, there were 200 Canada Geese and 23 buffleheads.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />You could win $1000 a day, now until May 12th, =
just for signing in to Windows Live Messenger. <a href=3D'http://g.msn.ca/c=
a55/211' target=3D'_new'>Check out SignInAndWIN.ca to learn more!</a></body=

--_acf50678-3493-406d-8071-7d6c430ba88b_--