[NatureNS] Cormorant, duck arrivals in local ponds, groundhog, Fox Sparrow,and N Shrike

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 14:24:01 -0300

Checked a few local ponds around Wolfville area yesterday (Fri.)

Of note:
Friday afternoon - Apr 4 /08:
D-C. CORMORANT: Habitant River, east of the Canning Aboiteau - one. (The
first of the season for me). I wonder if some have also arrived at the
Windsor Causeway?

CANADA GOOSE:
Port Williams Sewage Ponds-(2); Van Nostrand's Pond, Starrs Point-
(~150); Canning area, feeding in stubble fields south of Habitant R. behind
Canning (400-500).
RING-NECKED DUCK:
Port Williams Sewage Ponds (2m); Van Nostrand's Pond, Starrs Point
2m, 1f); Saxon St Pond (m).
C GOLDENEYE:
Port Williams Sewage Ponds (1m, 5 f/imm).
C. MERGANSER:
Canning Aboiteau (2m); Habitant R. behind Canning (mf).

A few Red-w. Blackbirds and C. Grackles were seen at almost every stop. Song
Sparrows singing everywhere.
Harris' Pond in Canning still appears frozen, as viewed from the main road.

I found a GROUNDHOG standing right in the middle of Saxon St Rd (to the east
of Fred Thomas Rd.) and it looked as if it was prepared to stay there! Maybe
still a little sleepy?

Sat. Apr 5 /08:  Early this morning in our back yard the day was welcomed in
with much bird song along with the steady drip of rain. Through all the bird
songs of Wh-br. Nuthatch, Blue Jays, Song Sparrows, Dk-eyed Juncos, C
Redpolls, Robin, Blk-cap. Chickadees, MODOs, I was delighted to hear the
sweet song of a FOX SPARROW. He spent about a couple of hours here and then
appears to have moved on.  The first for us this spring.

Late morning: I went to the Wolfville Harbour hoping to find a GBH or two.
None seen but was pleasantly surprised on hearing a soft, musical
'whispering' bird song, to find a NORTHERN SHRIKE singing while perched in
the top of a tree beside the first house at the entrance to the dykeland
walking trail.

Cheers
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts