[NatureNS] Various American woodcock reports

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 02:01:12 +0000

--_a5b77b10-6695-42b8-8fa4-2c1b9bfa8e2c_

I've thus far had reports of woodcock with three from the Gold River area a=
nd one from Back Centre.
=20
Dorthy Poole and I made a run to Cape Sable Island yesterday.  It was very =
quiet as it seems to be in most areas now.  The quietest that I have seen i=
t there.  The best bird of the day I guess would have been an American Kest=
rel.  We watched it at Bacarro as it perched on the overhead wires.  It mad=
e one jump off and hovered for a few minutes and then went back to the perc=
h.  Shortly after we were treated to it plunging to the ground and then to =
rise with a meadow vole in its talons.  Microtus Pensylvanicus I believe.  =
With all of the American Kestrels that I have observed over the years this =
is the first one I actually observed to capture prey while I was watching. =
 A grand treat indeed.
=20
I have a report of mystery birds, which have me scratching my head.  If any=
one is in the Western Shore area birding please keep an eye open for these =
strangly described birds.  There are two apparently, which are coming to a =
ladys doorstep along the main stretch of Western Shore.  I'm not sure of th=
e exact house.  They have been there for about a week now and show up aroun=
d 07:30 every morning.  These birds apparently are the size of a crow and l=
ook like either a jay or a crow.  They have a crest on the head like a blue=
 jay, have a black back and head and a white chest and white feet.   It doe=
s not sound like anything that I can put my finger on.  I'm thinking some s=
ort of domestic escapees.  Maybe magpies?  I had a report of one in Lunenbu=
rg, which apparently a couple had brought from out west back with them.  Th=
ey let the bird out every now and then and it went to their neighbours yard=
.  She called me, but the mystery was resolved just short of a week later. =
 This might be a similar scenario.  On the chance that it is not it is wort=
h trying to figure out what she might have.  I will not be able to get over=
 that way before Thursday due to working an early shift this week other tha=
n a later shift on Thursday itself.  If anyone has other ideas, I am open t=
o suggestions.  Thanks in advance.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Express yourself with free Messenger emoticons. Get them today!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/207=

--_a5b77b10-6695-42b8-8fa4-2c1b9bfa8e2c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I've thus far had reports of woodcock with three from the Gold River area a=
nd one from Back Centre.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Dorthy Poole and I made a run to Cape Sable Island yesterday.&nbsp; It was =
very quiet as it seems to be in most areas now.&nbsp; The quietest that I h=
ave seen it there.&nbsp; The best bird of the day I guess would have been a=
n American Kestrel.&nbsp; We watched it at Bacarro as it perched on the ove=
rhead wires.&nbsp; It made one jump off and hovered for a few minutes and t=
hen went back to the perch.&nbsp; Shortly after we were treated to it plung=
ing to the ground and then to rise with a meadow vole in its talons.&nbsp; =
Microtus Pensylvanicus I believe.&nbsp; With all of the American Kestrels t=
hat I have observed over the years this is the first one I actually observe=
d to capture prey while I was watching.&nbsp; A grand treat indeed.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I have a report of mystery birds, which have me scratching my head.&nbsp; I=
f anyone is in the Western Shore area birding please keep an eye open for t=
hese strangly described birds.&nbsp; There are two apparently, which are co=
ming to a ladys doorstep along the main stretch of Western Shore.&nbsp; I'm=
 not sure of the exact house.&nbsp; They have been there for about a week n=
ow and show up around 07:30 every morning.&nbsp; These birds apparently are=
 the size of a crow and look like either a jay or a crow.&nbsp; They have a=
 crest on the head like a blue jay, have a black back and head and a white =
chest and white feet.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;It does not&nbsp;sound like anything=
 that I can put my finger on.&nbsp; I'm thinking some sort of domestic esca=
pees.&nbsp; Maybe magpies?&nbsp; I had a report of one in Lunenburg, which =
apparently a couple had brought from out west back with them.&nbsp; They le=
t the bird out every now and then and it went to their neighbours yard.&nbs=
p; She called me, but the mystery was resolved just short of a week later.&=
nbsp; This might be a similar scenario.&nbsp; On the chance that it is not =
it is worth trying to figure out what she might have.&nbsp; I will not be a=
ble to get over that way before Thursday due to working an early shift this=
 week other than a later shift on Thursday itself.&nbsp; If anyone has othe=
r ideas, I am open to suggestions.&nbsp; Thanks in advance.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />Express yourself with free Messenger emoticons.=
 Get them today!</=
body>

--_a5b77b10-6695-42b8-8fa4-2c1b9bfa8e2c_--