[NatureNS] Black Melanistic Red-squirrel Reported

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:14:22 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I received a report about a BLACK SQUIRREL that spent the day around
their bird feeding area in HANTSPORT, yesterday.   In every other way
it looks and acts like a red squirrel.   I shared what I knew about
the existence of MELANISTIC RED SQUIRRELS; in the last five years
there have been at least THREE black squirrels  seen here on the
Bluff Rd in Avonport (about 7 km from where this one was reported).

One of the melanistic squirrels spent the summer on my property.  I
have a number of photos and a video I took of it.  I'm not able to
say whether these were three different squirrels or the same one seen
over a 5-year period. The last one (about a year ago) was one that
someone had found dead and had passed it on to me.  I photographed
that one as well.

I am curious about HOW FREQUENTly is this form of the red squirrel is
seen?  How many on our list have seen a black squirrel in the last
year?  I understand that the characteristic is carried by a recessive
gene.

The person who reported the Hantsport squirrel took photos and plans
to make one available to share.

Sherman