[NatureNS] Fox Sparrow & Grackles

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: jan foley <jfoley572001@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-1000403934-1206964369=:9260

    Last Thursday a pair of fox sparrows arrived and continue appear below the feeders,...they're singing from the conifers beside the house as I type,
    ...also on that day were the  first grackles,..One bleated all morning long,...til he was joined, at lunch time by another,...by evening they numbered 5....at 7 am today there are a larger number performing their morning "cronk".
       Other yard birds include blue jay,  junco, song sparrow,  starlings, American tree sparrow, pine siskin, common and hoary redpoll,  red- breasted nuthatch, mourning dove, rock dove, American crow, scavenging  seagulls ( I haven't learned to identify which are which..) and the ever present blackcap chickadee.     Next door my brother in law has 3-5 boreal chickadees that tend his feeders,..particularly the suet blocks left for the woodpeckers. I am soo-oo jealous.I've spotted them along the edge of our property in the trees usually because I've heard them first,...they sound  like the other fellas with laryngitis,.. but I haven't been able to coax them to feed.

Cheers, Jan Foley
Head of Jeddore