[NatureNS] sunflower seeds

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:15:06 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <az678@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

annabelle wrote:
> Hi Everybody,  I sent the concern to a friend of mine in Winnipeg &
> she had noticed that the sunflowers north of her looked sick so I
> think she phoned, anyway I finally got a reply from her & here it is.
>>  well I have some news about the sunflower seeds.
>> Yes, they spray them early to kill the plants because that makes the
>> seeds easier to harvest. apparently they have been doing this for years.

Thanks for this! My own personal problem with sunflower consumption
continues unchanged and unique in around 25-30 years of feeding: the
seeds are barely touched; they are discarded onto the ground directly
from feeders, left in feeders, feeder 'saucers' and left untouched on
feeding platforms and on the ground - all to be (thankfully) cleaned up
by my faithful night feeding staff - the raccoons, who mercifully appear
none the worse! I have bought bags from several different stores and
companies (and learned in the process that a large portion of all the
seeds comes ultimately via the same distributer, Armstrong, in Ontario),
I have washed and cleaned my feeders twice (including an additional
vinegar soak on my main one), I have tried buying a brand new feeder and
I have checked  that the seeds I use do have kernels inside, all to no
avail. I also borrowed a feeder currently in successful use, plus seeds
from a friend (this was sporadically used by my birds, but I was not
able to keep it too long and ultimately transferred the remaining
borrowed seeds - which were also from the store I usually get mine from
- into my own feeder, but the use dwindled to nothing again.) The only
feeders to have remained consistently popular thoughout the entire
season are my nyger and fat feeders.
Despite all these difficulties I continue to have a fairly lively
collection of regular birds daily around the feeders - chickadees,
bluejays, pheasants, woodpeckers,1 nuthatch, 2 boreal chickadees - until
very recently, mourning doves, starlings, 1 song sparrow, 2
whitethroats, a few juncos, goldfinch, siskins and loads of redpolls
(approx 30-55 consistently over the past six weeks or so - have never
had such a sustained presence of these birds before.)
All this has reduced me to using much more 'luxury' seeds than usual on
a daily basis: sunflower kernels, peanuts, and added nyger; I will
continue this for the remainder of this season and then see what happens
in September...................
Eleanor Lindsay,
Seabright,
St Margarets Bay