[NatureNS] Black-capped Chickadees, Common Grackle, Red-bellied Woodpecker

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:42:50 +0000

--_0fafeda5-f6ec-4e30-a085-1f2884ab278c_

First off I should explain the red-bellied woodpecker.  There has been one =
in the same location now for three years running at Branch LaHave.  A male,=
 but never a sign of a female.  The male successfully overwintered and Doro=
thy Poole and I made a run to see it on March 25.  It did not show, but was=
 at the feeder the day after we were there.  This is the same bird I receiv=
ed photos of by another person through the winter and we were shown photos =
of the bird by the person who has it when we were there.  The gentleman in =
Branch LaHave has had the bird coming to his feeder all winter, but it is n=
ow visiting less frequently.  There is a good possibility I think of a pair=
 of these birds breeding in that area, as on one of my point counts for the=
 breeding bird atlas last summer I had a female fly in and land on a teleph=
one pole not far as the bird flies from the location in Branch Lahave where=
 the male had been all last summer.  I will try to watch that area more clo=
sely this summer.
=20
At one roadside stop in Branch LaHave on the same day I had 21 black-capped=
 chickadees, perched all on the one tree.  I suspect returning migrants mov=
ing through that area due to the number.
=20
Today at my feeder in Dublin Shore the first common grackle for the year ma=
de an appearance.  A newly returned spring migrant.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Enter the Hunt & you could win a 2008 Eclipse Spyder! Click here to enter!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/213=

--_0fafeda5-f6ec-4e30-a085-1f2884ab278c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
First off I should explain the red-bellied woodpecker.&nbsp; There has been=
 one in the same location now for three years running at Branch LaHave.&nbs=
p; A male, but never a sign of a female.&nbsp; The male successfully overwi=
ntered and Dorothy Poole and I made a run to see it on March 25.&nbsp; It d=
id not show, but was at the feeder the day after we were there.&nbsp; This =
is the same bird I received photos of by another person through the winter =
and we were shown photos of the bird by the person who has it when we were =
there.&nbsp; The gentleman in Branch LaHave has had the bird coming to his =
feeder all winter, but it is now visiting less frequently.&nbsp; There is a=
 good possibility I think of a pair of these birds breeding in that area, a=
s on one of my point counts for the breeding bird atlas last summer I had a=
 female fly in and land on a telephone pole not far as the bird flies from =
the location in Branch Lahave where the male had been all last summer.&nbsp=
; I will try to watch that area more closely this summer.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
At one roadside stop in Branch LaHave on the same day I had 21 black-capped=
 chickadees, perched all on the one tree.&nbsp; I suspect returning migrant=
s moving through that area due to the number.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Today at my feeder in Dublin Shore the first common grackle for the year ma=
de an appearance.&nbsp; A newly returned spring migrant.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />Hunt for a chance to win a Mitsubishi Eclipse S=
pyder! <a href=3D'http://g.msn.ca/ca55/211' target=3D'_new'>Click here to e=
nter</a></body>

--_0fafeda5-f6ec-4e30-a085-1f2884ab278c_--