[NatureNS] rough-legged hawk, eagle nests, raven nests, spring birds, c. mergs, Can. geese, robins

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:10:55 -0300

Jim Wolford wrote:

 >At Saxon St. Pond, along the west bank of now-drained and iced pond, is a
NEW
 >LARGE STICK NEST, which seems to have a HAWK? (RED-TAILED?) sitting in it,
to be    >confirmed later on a less Sunny day.  However, whatever was
sitting in the nest
 >seemed to be quite big when moving about, although the head was not
white.<

                _______________________________________

Noting Jim Wolford's comments about a possible Red-tailed Hawk's nest at
Saxon St Pond (Sheffield Mills) I will add that when I was at the Saxon St
pond on Tuesday, there was a pair of Red-tailed Hawks interacting at the
back of the small marsh pond, exchanging perches on a tall dead tree, much
to the annoyance of some crows that unsucessfully tried to harass them. It
seemed to indicate there might be some housekeeping going on locally. I
missed spotting the nest Jim noted.

Bernard Forsythe reports finding a KILLDEER in Starrs Point in the past
couple of days. this week.

On the Forsythe note,  I forgot to add to my report on Tuesday that we had
two BARRED OWLS in our backyard on Tues around 6.00 p.m. Always a thrill to
see them up close. No way of knowing whether these owls are the ones from
BLF's backyard (east of us), or a pair using the box n.w. of us (west of
Elderkin's orchard across the road from us). Bernard has been out checking
on the progress of his owls recently, has seen evidence of occupation in the
n.w. box, and the female on his property has been in and out of her nest
box. He says he thought the owls were going to be laying early this year
when the weather became milder but apparently not. He believes it has
something to do with recent spate of very cold weather.

Cheers,
 Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts
    Wolfville

At Saxon St. Pond, along the west bank of now-drained and iced pond, is a
NEW LARGE STICK NEST, which seems to have a HAWK? (RED-TAILED?) sitting in
it, to be confirmed later on a less Sunny day.  However, whatever was
sitting in the nest seemed to be quite big when moving about, although the
head was not white.

Checked by AVG.
7:15 PM