[NatureNS] Re: Discrepancy - Observing Space Station This Evening

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:01:20 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  p.m.&amp

--Apple-Mail-2-596014321
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Joyce Norris and All,

This is what I understand is the reason for the difference in the
predicted observation schedules:

  "Satellite Flybys" must be set to show only visible satellites
that  will be at least 15 or 20 degrees above the observers horizon.
Below that elevation is more difficult to see.

My prediction sources are set to show passes that are 10 degrees or
more above the horizon.   Amateur astronomers usually accept the
challenge of seeing objects that are quite near the horizon even
though there are more problems that work against a successful
observation.

"Satellite Flybys" did not show the ISS, STS-123 and ATV(Jules Verne)
for Tuesday evening because they were lower than the limit they have
imposed on the software that does the calculation.   My limit was
lower. This is why I had a prediction for ISS, STS and ATV for
Tuesday and  "Satellite Flybys" did not.

"Satellite Flybys" is still showing passes for the three objects: ISS
(space station),  ATV(Jules Verne), and STS-123 (Endeavour), because
for this evening, March 26, STS-123 (Endeavour) is still in orbit
even though by 9 p.m. if all goes well Endeavour will have returned
to Earth.  If there is a change in plans, for example, due to
weather, (and if it is clear) then we all will have an even better
chance of seeing all three this evening.

My sources give the following  predicted visible passes for this
evening, March 26:

ISS at the peak of its pass at  21:25:26    26 degrees above the SW
when it enters Earth shadow and disappears.
ATV at the peak of its pass at  21:25:26   29 degrees above the SW
when it enters Earth shadow and disappears.
Endeavour is not given because, if on schedule, it will be deorbited
by 20:09
Genesis at the peak of its pass at  21:55:32   74 degrees above the
SW when it enters Earth shadow and disappears.

All the best,
     Sherman

On 25/03/2008, at 9:36 PM, Joyce Norris wrote:

> Sherman:
>
> I noticed in the email I got from Spaceweather.com that they listed
> Tuesday night as the night to see the three space craft. However,
> when I went to the flyby page and punched in my postal code for
> Windsor (B0N 2T0) what I got shows only one craft for tonight -
> Genesis I at 9:53:58 and the three craft for 03/26 which would be
> tomorrow, Wednesday. What is listed for the 26th on the flyby page
> is Jules Verne 9:23:51, ISS 9:28:10 and Genesis I at 9:51:22. So
> those times aren't quite the same as yours either and not the same
> night. So, something is wrong somewhere -either their email or the
> flyby page. I didn't see your email in time to go out earlier.
> Rats! Hope I didn't miss it!
>
> Joyce

--Apple-Mail-2-596014321

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><div>Joyce Norris =
is what I understand is the reason for the difference in the predicted =
observation schedules:</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>=A0"Satellite Flybys" must =
be set to show only visible satellites that =A0will be at least 15 or 20 =
degrees above the observers horizon. =A0Below that elevation is more =
difficult to see.=A0</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>My prediction sources are =
set to show passes that are 10 degrees or more above the horizon. =
=A0=A0Amateur astronomers usually accept the challenge of seeing objects =
that are quite near the horizon even though there are more problems that =
work against a successful observation. =A0</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>"Satellite Flybys"=A0did =
not show the ISS, STS-123 and ATV(Jules Verne) for Tuesday evening =
because they were lower than the limit they have imposed on the software =
that does the calculation. =A0 My limit was lower.=A0This is why I had a =
prediction for ISS, STS and ATV for Tuesday and=A0=A0"Satellite Flybys" =
did not.</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div>&