[NatureNS] Re: Eagles Nest

From: <lesley.butters@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 0:55:10 -0400

Monday evening my friend and I were kicksledding out on Gasperau Lake and at sunset I saw a pair of eagles ascend from Little Stovepipe Island. One  eagle headed off down the lake toward the dam where there was open water and perhaps supper. The other eagle circled the island  periodically perching on the taller white pines and definitely keeping a watchful eye on us.Every so often, "she" flew over the middle of the island making peeping sounds. Eventually, we saw  what all the fuss was about. If the nest was any bigger it would sink the island or create a new one! The other eagle flew back to the nest but the day light was pretty well gone and it was hard to see if he had brought back supper.
The ice is still thick on Gasperau Lake with only one large pressure ridge off Moose Island.   Lesley Butters