[NatureNS] Bald Eagle

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:53:18 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-138-91531930
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hi Virginia:

Many eagles have already paired up by now and are already incubating
eggs. That means that the males are out looking for food, so they tend
to spread out a bit more than they usually might. Since you are near a
river, your driveway my just have been on the route the bird was
taking. I have seen a few in the area of the 101 near the Mt. Unicke
turnoff, which is also not a place where they are normally found.

That would have been an interesting display to watch. Pheasants are
quite impressive when they decide it is mating time. We have watched
males at our feeder spread their wings and fluff up theri feather and
stand right in front of females, only to be ignored. Not that the males
give up! We have yet to see two males squaring off, which is odd given
how many we have around here.

Pat

On Mar 19, 2008, at 8:08 PM, Virginia and Terry wrote:

> I live down a long narrow lane and surrounded by woods and tonight I
> had a great surprise. A Bald Eagle flew straight down my driveway. I
> often have owls and some small hawks but I have never had an eagle and
> it had a brilliant white tail. Are the eagle getting pressed for
> territory or could it be from a nest about 1/3 of a mile from here?
> I had another first in the 28 years I have lived here. This winter I
> had 2 cock pheasants. They came out of the woods and had a cock fight
> right in my back yard about 10 feet from the kitchen window. They were
> both fantastically beautiful. They chased each other off to the woods
> making a lot of racket on the way.
> Virginia,
>  Scotch Village.
>

> --
> Bertha had a whole armload of opinions. She'd go around and collect
> them and give them to you all at once.
>
> Medicine River
> Thomas King

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-138-91531930

Hi Virginia:

Many eagles have already paired up by now and are already incubating
eggs. That means that the males are out looking for food, so they tend
to spread out a bit more than they usually might. Since you are near a
river, your driveway my just have been on the route the bird was
taking. I have seen a few in the area of the 101 near the Mt. Unicke
turnoff, which is also not a place where they are normally found.

That would have been an interesting display to watch. Pheasants are
quite impressive when they decide it is mating time. We have watched
males at our feeder spread their wings and fluff up theri feather and
stand right in front of females, only to be ignored. Not that the
males give up! We have yet to see two males squaring off, which is odd
given how many we have around here.

Pat

<excerpt>I live down a long narrow lane and surrounded by woods and
[...]

</fontfamily>

--Apple-Mail-138-91531930--