[NatureNS] Fungi

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 17:17:04 +0000

--_dd056011-2beb-4b33-8694-91a60e559c77_

Hi all:
=20
A thank you to Jim Wolford for obtaining an answer to my fungi.  For those =
interested in such, it cannot be identified exactly other than under a micr=
oscope, but there are two possibilities as below.  This is the reponse back=
 to both Jim and I.
=20
It is both a fungus and a mold, as all molds are fungi. The odd colonial sh=
apes are probably determined by what it is growing on, ie the points at whi=
ch individual pickles touch or nearly touch the surface. On an appropriate =
homogeneous medium the colonies would be circular. The blue-green color is =
caused by carotenoid and related pigments in the mature spores (there to pr=
otect spore DNA from visible and UV light-mediated damage). This blue-green=
 color is very common in ascomycete fungal spores. The most likely genera a=
re Aspergillus and Penicillium. A quick look through a microscope at 50-100=
x will tell you, as Aspergillus and Penicillium have distinct and distinctl=
y different spore arrangements on the mature sporophore.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Like solving puzzles? Then you'll love Flexicon! Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/213=

--_dd056011-2beb-4b33-8694-91a60e559c77_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
<FONT size=3D3>Hi all:</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>A thank you to Jim Wolford for obtaining an answer to my fun=
gi.&nbsp; For those interested in such, it cannot be identified exactly oth=
er than under a microscope, but there are two possibilities as below.&nbsp;=
 This is the reponse back to both Jim and I.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>It is both a fungus and a mold, as all molds are fungi. The =
odd colonial shapes are probably determined by what it is growing on, ie th=
e points at which individual pickles touch or nearly touch the surface. On =
an appropriate homogeneous medium the colonies would be circular. The blue-=
green color is caused by carotenoid and related pigments in the mature spor=
es (there to protect spore DNA from visible and UV light-mediated damage). =
This blue-green color is very common in ascomycete fungal spores. The most =
likely genera are <I>Aspergillus</I> and <I>Penicillium</I>. A quick look t=
hrough a microscope at 50-100x will tell you, as <I>Aspergillus</I> and <I>=
Penicillium</I> have distinct and distinctly different spore arrangements o=
n the mature sporophore.</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;<BR>
<FONT size=3D3>James R. Hirtle</FONT><BR>
<FONT size=3D3>Dublin Shore</FONT><BR>
<BR><BR><br /><hr />Is your lingo strong enough to ace these new word puzzl=
es from Live Search Games?  <a href=3D'http://g.msn.ca/ca55/214' target=3D'=
_new'>Click here to test your vocab!</a></body>

--_dd056011-2beb-4b33-8694-91a60e559c77_--