[NatureNS] Bird behavior question

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:46:45 -0300

  &lt;P&gt;&lt;SPAN lang=

------=_NextPart_000_0048_01C882A4.6B5FD870

This Blue Jay behaviour raises for me an interesting question in terms of
"breeding status" for the Bird Atlas. For example, I see Blue Jays
(presumably males) offering food to other Blue Jays (presumably females),
long before their breeding period as defined in the Atlas documents. Does
this behaviour rate a "D" status even when it is performed in March? Or do
the Blue Jays establish pairs outside, possibly far outside, their breeding
territory. The Atlas documents indicate that the breeding period of Blue
Jays begins in the last week of April.

John

  _____