[NatureNS] Barred Owl

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:36:50 -0400
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_1377_14743689.1204843010072

Work by Graham Martin in Europe covers owl vision quite well. Owls have more
rods (low-light sensitive receptors) than cones (colour, bright-light
receptors), making their vision better at night than in the daytime.
However, their daytime vision is about on par with that of pigeons (which is
worst than that of humans). Martin's work was largely done on the Tawny Owl,
a nocturnal bird.

Roland is correct in that most owls do hunt at night. However, a surprising
number also hunt during the day.

On 06/03/2008, Roland McCormick <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>  Am I correct that most owls hunt at night rather than in the daytime. I
> always had the idea that the Great Gray Owl hunted in the daytime, but most
> other owls could see better at night.  I do know that people who set snares
> for rabbits usually find that crows will eat more of the rabbits they catch
> than owls will - probably because there are so many more crows around than
> there are  owls to tend their snares for them. It has been several years
> since I saw an owl.
>
> Roland

Randy
RF Lauff